Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Puerto Rican vs. Hispanic  (Read 8769 times)

HtownsFinest

• View Profile
Re: Puerto Rican vs. Hispanic
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2007, 11:15:02 PM »
To the OP: You'll get in everywhere you apply!!

XxGodJrxX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 03:43:19 AM »
What makes a Puerto Rican more likely to get a boost than another hispanic?

If I had to choose Hispanic preference by group it would be something like:

1. Me
2. All other Hispanic Groups

Thoughts?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007, 11:36:41 PM »
We should keep PR, and get rid of NJ, and CA

That might be a good idea, except that if you got rid of California the Federal government would lose SO much money from income tax.  I would not doubt that California contributes more in income tax than any other state. 

As for New Jersey-isn't it already part of PR?

obesebeats

• i was taken aback by his churlish demeanor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2007, 04:25:04 AM »
I read not too long ago that CA is the 5th largest economy in the world.  That's pretty impressive, considering it's a state in a country, as opposed to a country in and of itself(although i'm sure quite a few people might prefer the latter).  Considering the diversity of it's contributions to the internal and especially the national/global economies, it probably has a lot more in common with a country competing in the world economy than a state.  With that being said, it might be able to function on it's own, but I really do doubt it would ever happened.

PR should become it's own country if it's inhabitants so choose, but that's not likely because of US pressures and influence on the island.  We certainly have our interests primarily in mind in maintaining the relationship we have with them currently.  Independence is not likely, and neither is statehood for that matter.  It is a shame what the bombing has done there, though.  I don't recall if it's on the main island itself, or a near-by one, but I know that it's been having an effect on the cancer rates for a lot of populations in the surrounding areas because of the wind carrying the chemicals released in explosions during military training ops. 

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2007, 04:01:04 PM »
I read not too long ago that CA is the 5th largest economy in the world.  That's pretty impressive, considering it's a state in a country, as opposed to a country in and of itself(although i'm sure quite a few people might prefer the latter).  Considering the diversity of it's contributions to the internal and especially the national/global economies, it probably has a lot more in common with a country competing in the world economy than a state.  With that being said, it might be able to function on it's own, but I really do doubt it would ever happened.

CA does have a strong economy, but it also receives a good share of federal money.  Not that it would, but a 'clean break' from the U.S. would significantly reduce its economic strength.

obesebeats

• i was taken aback by his churlish demeanor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2007, 06:52:20 PM »

CA does have a strong economy, but it also receives a good share of federal money.  Not that it would, but a 'clean break' from the U.S. would significantly reduce its economic strength.

That's probably true.  I think it would sustain itself for a while by getting into perpetual debt like all other countries, maybe signing NAFTA and perhaps getting a few loans from IMF/World Bank after all this tips the scales in the opposite direction.  After that, it won't be too long until CA starts to resemble another Puerto Rico, and Snake Plisskin has to come to the rescue.

CGLawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2007, 11:33:24 AM »
I'm not sure when the original post was written, but law schools do take into consideration a person's ethnicity. However, that is not the only or most important factor. If your LSAT score was low, I would suggest going to www.cleoscholars.com. It's called the Cleo Program, and if accepted, you will have the opportunity to take simulated law school classes at a real US law school for about 6 weeks in the summer prior to what would be your first year of law school. This program is great because it also gives you an opportunity to meet with deans/professors from various law schools that come and visit during that time. Some people in my Cleo class had the opportunity to go to better law schools than the ones they were originally accepted at (i.e. one girl got into UC Davis' law school by doing CLEO). Also, it's a great way to meet future lawyers and they will take you to some fabulous events where you can network with and meet other lawyers. Good luck!

CGLawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2007, 11:35:24 AM »
Oh, Boston College and Suffolk University also have similar programs. So does Indiana (Indiana Cleo) and so does Colorado. I'm sure many schools/states have similar programs!

Prog

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2007, 06:31:06 AM »
Puerto Rican will give you a slight advantage over being just "Hispanic", but only if you're a mainlander Puerto Rican (ie: from the States), not an islander Puerto Rican.

At least this is according findings during the Grutter case.

I realize this is an old topic, but I was wondering why this would be the case?

Prog

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2007, 06:26:56 AM »
So, would I, being an "islander" Puertorrican still be considered an URM?

???