Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Non-trad social life  (Read 8317 times)

potato

• View Profile
Re: Non-trad social life
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 05:38:44 PM »
Not really looking at dating any of my fellow students.  I avoided that in grad school the first time around just because of the gossip factor.

I think I'm going to have to make sure I try to develop a social circle outside of law school.  In grad school all of my friends were fellow grad students, and that got a bit limiting after awhil e.  Luckily I have friends in most of the areas I'm applying.

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 10:18:29 AM »
i am going to be single and 37 in law school...have given the social life (and sex life) challenges a lot of thought.

i was abroad last year and volunteering with a bunch of 20something liberal do-gooders, which i thought i would fit in great with, since we were all trying to accomplish the same democracy-building goal. i was a total misfit with that particular bunch - they condemned me when i was willing to entertain a different perspective than theirs and they pretty much wrote me off. bottom line, i am REALLY hoping that law school students are more willing to see both sides of an issue and to stay open to the possibility that perhaps the truth is in the middle. i think that law school would be a good place for that, but that is my biggest concern, after discovering that the only thing worse than a closed-minded conservative is a closed-minded liberal.

Good luck with that.  From what I've been able to gather, law schools range from very liberal to ridiculously liberal.  I'm sure there are some conservative students, but I think they're often scared into silence.  Seriously, if this is an issue for you, choose your school carefully. 
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

mobo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 05:05:38 PM »
Good luck with that.  From what I've been able to gather, law schools range from very liberal to ridiculously liberal.  I'm sure there are some conservative students, but I think they're often scared into silence.  Seriously, if this is an issue for you, choose your school carefully. 

from what i have seen, you are absolutely right that law schools (and academia in general) is left-leaning (with perhaps the exception of affiliated schools like Pepperdine or BYU). to me it isn't the opinion that is the point, but the willingness to entertain, and accept, differences in opinion. from what i have read, it seems that most schools are actually pretty accepting of conservative or alternative views (my info comes from the 117 best schools - student surveys), even if they are the minority view, which gives me hope that perhaps there can be respectful and productive discussion about [fill-in-the-blank].

besides, if this board is at all representative of the students i might be at school with, i think i can handle it. :D i have found enough open-mindedness, genuine thoughtful discussion, and support to give me hope that ls might actually be fun. (as the sun breaks through the clouds, angels sing, and my rose-colored glasses shatter in the bright light....)

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 07:49:41 PM »
Back to a discussion a while ago... The arguments are definitely fun, but for me the fun is in entertaining both sides to the chagrin of others. 'Well, yes, he has a point. So do you, but so does he....'

I'm definitely looking forward to the professional contact thing. I admit, I'm terrible about meeting people outside of structured situations. I'm just not quite outgoing enough, and have issues with thinking I'm imposing on people (I'm horrible at networking and hate asking favors of anybody.) So the hope of good, interesting discussion and openness of views is good. Especially because, well... I'm a social liberal and a fiscal conservative. I should have some outside of law school contacts, at least. If I stay in town, there's always the boyfriend, and his group of friends is pretty extensive, as well.

I think we may only end up applying to one school that's the same, mobo, since I'm trying to stay in Texas. :) I'm just hoping they'll overlook my average grades and poor grad school performance from ten years ago.
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

mobo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2005, 08:05:43 PM »
I'm definitely looking forward to the professional contact thing.

isn't that the best part of waking up? ummm. never mind. i think i meant that was supposed to be the best part of law school...

seriously, i agree with you, my current professional networking base is mostly business/technology, which doesn't and won't really help with the inroads i want to make in international law and later on, politics. on one hand it is flattering to be the one that every one else seems to live vicariously through. on the other, it can be lonely. (which brings me back to the waking up...no. never mind.)

I admit, I'm terrible about meeting people outside of structured situations. I'm just not quite outgoing enough, and have issues with thinking I'm imposing on people (I'm horrible at networking and hate asking favors of anybody.) So the hope of good, interesting discussion and openness of views is good.

i am the exact opposite; turns out i am a natural networker, i meet people everywhere and anywhere, especially when i am in the mood. which i plan to be in by fall 2006. so if we end up at ut together, we can hang out and meet people together.

Especially because, well... I'm a social liberal and a fiscal conservative. I should have some outside of law school contacts, at least.

it is a tough line to walk between the two approaches, though i find myself walking it too.

If I stay in town, there's always the boyfriend, and his group of friends is pretty extensive, as well.

I think we may only end up applying to one school that's the same, mobo, since I'm trying to stay in Texas. :) I'm just hoping they'll overlook my average grades and poor grad school performance from ten years ago.

AMEN! i am hoping for the same fuzzy look at my gpa from what feels like a lifetime ago...especially from UT since i visited there last summer on a fluke and loved the austin area.

plato2006

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2006, 02:43:05 AM »
What about intramurals, or outdoor adventure kinds of stuff?  I know there are activities like that planned for grad students, but what about law students? 

Maybe history shows that law students are too obsessed with grades and extracurriculars like moot court to take time to throw the dodge ball around the school yard, and so none of the schools invest in that (or perhaps being part of a larger university, already have facilities).

So then maybe there is at least a gym and lockers next to the library?  If not, there should be.  I will be needing to burn off some serious steam when I go head to head with the other great minds from our nation.
it's all in the reflexes

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2006, 01:30:40 PM »
Your first year you'll be assigned to a section and you'll take all of your courses with all of the same people. (Might be a few schools that do it differently, but that's how it works in general). These are the folk that you'll probably get to know best, so look for ones in that group that seem similarly situated in terms of interests, age, or attitude. The group I hung out with was fairly diverse in terms of age, but were mostly people with anywhere from a little to a lot of post-school experience. I also sometimes do stuff with people who are more the "just out of college" sort. Sort of depends who's around, and what sort of relationship you're looking for from those people. My dating life and all that is well-removed from school, so that probably helps.

Kittyl30

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2006, 07:35:12 AM »
speaking as a 21 year old female, we like mature, sexy older men...
she says she's tired of life
everybody's tired of something..

thescreed

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2006, 04:48:56 PM »

You may think that's great for now, but perhaps not so much when you're 42 and your husband is banging the 21-year-old intern at his office.

mobo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2006, 04:42:11 PM »

You may think that's great for now, but perhaps not so much when you're 42 and your husband is banging the 21-year-old intern at his office.

whose named Robert

and we take the definition of a non-trad social life in a whole new direction!!

LOL