Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best schools...?  (Read 577 times)

MysT2005

• AOL Instant Messenger - tybroo05
    • View Profile
    • Email
Best schools...?
« on: November 07, 2005, 01:28:28 PM »
I want to attend a good school and recieve a good education. I am neutral in regards to the percentage of black peole or minorities at a school but which school are most friendly to accepting minorites, specifically black women? Could you give me a list of 5 to 10 schools? Geography doesn't matter...
There is no more noble occupation in the world than to assist another human being - to help someone to succeed. - Alan Loy McGinnus

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
Re: Best schools...?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 01:46:48 PM »
I want to attend a good school and recieve a good education. I am neutral in regards to the percentage of black peole or minorities at a school but which school are most friendly to accepting minorites, specifically black women? Could you give me a list of 5 to 10 schools? Geography doesn't matter...

I don't know that there any schools that truly fit the bill and much will probably depend on what kind of numbers etc you are bringing to the table.  That said, I would look to a lot of the schools in remote locations who are just happy to get minorities of any kind applying. I've heard Indiana University will waive the out of state fee; they also participate in a CLEO like program that provides 5K scholarships.  Washington and Lee I heard will work with you.  Iowa.  Minnesota.  Wisconsin;  Cornell.  I mean at a certain point it really does depend on numbers.  I can tell you Cornell is a "friendly school" but friendly to a point.  Howard provides an excellent education.

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 12:07:36 AM »
That is a hard school to answer.  Maybe you can look in the USNEWS to get a make up of the people who are attending the different schools.
Back in the saddle again.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 12:21:42 AM »

You need to qualify this.  Some schools will accept basically anyone with a certain LSAT/GPA, so in that sense, they are "friendly to accepting minorities."  Basically all schools practice some form of affirmative action; however, none that I know of publish how many minorities they accept out of those who apply, and they most certainly do not break it down by sex.  And even if they did, and you found the school "most friendly to accepting minorities, specifically women," the first two prongs (forgive me...I just finished reading con law) of your requirement, attending a "good" school and receiving a "good" education, would not necessarily be met.

Give us your numbers, give us a range of schools, and we can tell you where you should apply.  You can look on the LSAC website to view the profiles of schools and see the percentage of black women currently attending.  That's about as good as you can do.

seu2002

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 01:02:51 PM »
Rutgers.  I love how diverse Rutgers-Newark is.  I'm not talking about a handful of black or hispanic students either.  I'd say that half of every class is comprised of minorities.  The best part tho, is that the law school is run by minorities.  The largest student organizations all have e-boards with positions held by blacks or hispanics.  Mos def...  Rutgers.  I love it here.  The diversity makes me feel right at home.