Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: so my question is ....  (Read 2924 times)

dta

Re: so my question is ....
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2004, 10:53:13 AM »
Oh, I was just curious about the process. So...you think that if law schools see that you are able to view your LOR's they regard them as less effective recommendations (since the authors may have been less candid about you)?

Of course! More importantly, they know that THE RECOMENDER knew you would be viewing the LOR for yourself (the recommender sees that you checked the box - it's a very obvious box). Obviously, just as anyone would, the adcoms are going to believe that the fact that the recommender knows that the person he is writing a recommendation for will actually look at the recommendation will in fact affect the recommendation given.

exposť

• Sr. Citizen
  • honey, i'm home...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2004, 11:07:59 AM »
Uh huh.  But, I'm sure a lot of people read them anyway, box or no box, because they sometimes know the recommenders pretty well.  And, the adcoms know this too, so it's really not exactly an airtight system.

Ginatio

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2004, 11:12:58 AM »
no sir... the recommender ships the letter straight to LSAC. you get no chance to read it.

Uh huh.  But, I'm sure a lot of people read them anyway, box or no box, because they sometimes know the recommenders pretty well.  And, the adcoms know this too, so it's really not exactly an airtight system.

exposť

• Sr. Citizen
  • honey, i'm home...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2004, 11:19:57 AM »
Sure.  I'm talking if the recommender shows you a copy.

Ginatio

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2004, 11:23:19 AM »
why would they? they know they're not supposed to.

Sure.  I'm talking if the recommender shows you a copy.

exposť

• Sr. Citizen
  • honey, i'm home...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2004, 11:26:17 AM »
Well, that's that then.  I'm not worried about it anyway because I'll threaten to horsewhip 'em if I hear they said anything bad.

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2004, 12:02:50 PM »
2 of my recomenders sent me a copy.  I didn't ask for them, and I supplied them with the stamped envelopes.  I guess it just depends on your relationship and their preference.  It doesn't say anywhere that "they are not supposed to."  It is up to the student to check the box.  who cares?

oh, and i am glad I got one of them because there was an error.
Loyola LA Here I Come!!

exposť

• Sr. Citizen
  • honey, i'm home...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2004, 12:05:00 PM »
I still reserve horsewhipping as an option, just so they "understand" how I really feel about it.

exposť

• Sr. Citizen
  • honey, i'm home...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2004, 12:07:38 PM »
2 of my recomenders sent me a copy.  I didn't ask for them, and I supplied them with the stamped envelopes.  I guess it just depends on your relationship and their preference.  It doesn't say anywhere that "they are not supposed to."  It is up to the student to check the box.  who cares?

So.. did you then ask your recommender to revise the letter to correct the mistake?  Or, had they already sent it off?

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2004, 12:10:14 PM »

So.. did you then ask your recommender to revise the letter to correct the mistake?  Or, had they already sent it off?

he had already sent it, so I called LSAC and made that letter "inactive" and had him send in another one.  scary!!
Loyola LA Here I Come!!