Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anybody use PS, TM, or Kaplan to edit their Personal Statement?  (Read 2202 times)

Daniel_P

• View Profile
    • Email
Does anybody know the quality of personal statement editing services offered by either PowerScore, Testmasters, or Kaplan?  Obviously they all offer help with this area of the admissions process, but at a higher cost than say Essay Edge.

So my question is are they worth the money?  Sure one could guess that their major test prep company status allows them to charge more, but I'm curious if anybody has actually used them before or knows of anybody who's used them.  Thanks for the input

swagger

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Swagger008
    • View Profile
    • LSN for stats
Re: Anybody use PS, TM, or Kaplan to edit their Personal Statement?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 11:43:58 AM »
I would like to second the question.

I took the Kaplan course and was unimpressed, so I am not returning to them for PS help.  What service can you recommend, LSDers?

Ginatio

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 11:47:21 AM »
I'll edit your PS for $50. that's my recommendation...

Daniel_P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 12:17:02 PM »
That's not what I'm asking, Ginatio, but thanks anyway.  Anybody else?

clora

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 08:27:47 PM »
I would like to "third" this question.  As of today I have a semi-presentable PS.  Now what?  When I read it I start going crossed-eyed. Does anyone have experience with PS editing services?

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 08:39:38 PM »
Just to make sure this thread gets read, I'll fourth or fifth or whatever this question.

lexylit

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 08:44:24 PM »
yeah i have experience, in that i've done it for others...

i don't think you need to shell out money for someone trained a a kaplan/pr/whatever tutor to read your ps. if you want to shell out money, give it to someone with an advanced degree in english. give it to someone whom you think is a phenomenal writer.

if you have big-picture, admissions-based questions (will cooley hate this topic? will gwu think i'm a schmuck for making this too long? what shall i write about?) then those places might help you. if you've already got a workable draft and you need to polish it, find someone good with words.

if you're an undergrad, start with the writing center: it's probably free.

Daniel_P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 01:29:58 AM »
Thanks for the advice, lexylit.  However, I'm looking for someone who not only has good writing skills, but knows from experience what admissions counselors like to see in a personal statement. 

On that note, I'm know that the people who review your personal statements at Kaplan were once admissions counselors themselves at various law schools.  That's a huge advantage that an English major couldn't provide, as good as their writing skills may be. 

I guess that's the extra edge I'm looking and willing to pay for.  But I still have to hear from anyone who's actually paid for such a service...  Anyone who has actually done so?  Perhaps I am asking too early.  Maybe in another month or so someone will be able to relay an experience...

dta

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004, 09:12:54 PM »
Further, if you give your PS to someone on this board to review there is nothing preventing him/her from doing what he/she will with it. Though it wouldn't be nice, Lexylit and Ginatio would face no legal consequences were they to publicly expose your personal statement to the entire group, or decide that your PS is darn good and use it for him/herself in his/her own LS applications. By going through Kaplan you are more assured of confidentiality.

Further, just as the best baseball player isn't always the best baseball teacher, so too good writers do not necessarily know how to communicate good writing skills to others. I would imagine Kaplan to some degree tests the teaching ability of the people they employ to review personal statements.

But to answer your question, no I have no experience with it. And to "sixthify" the question, I would also be interested in anyone who has used such services.