Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: screw the warranty?  (Read 1784 times)

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
screw the warranty?
« on: July 07, 2004, 08:02:26 AM »
so im trying to decide between two computers... the problem is that one computer (the dell) isnt exacly known for great quality. plus, it comes with all that extra crappy software on it. but it does come with a complete 4 year warranty where even if i break it they fix it.

the other computer is top of the line (from a private, high-end computer company) but only comes with a 2 year warranty and it doesnt cover accidents that are my fault.

is it worth it to forget about the warranty and get the better quality computer or am i going to get screwed over? does anyone have any no-warranty horror stories?

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
Re: screw the warranty?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 08:49:59 AM »
I had a similar dilemma, and ended up going with a Dell.  Part of that is because I found a deal on one that I couldn't pass up, but the other part was warranty.  Even the best quality computers can have something wrong with them, so I decided the warranty was pretty important.  Also, the Dell warranty was next-day onsite, which was important to me as I dreamed of horror stories of my computer crashing the week before/of finals.

I'm planning on doing a complete format of the HD and re-installing Windows (and maybe Linux if I'm bored  :)) to get rid of all that crappy software.

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 09:01:56 AM »
yeah... if i end up with the dell im sure ill format the hd as well. but ive always had huge problems when i try to reinstall everything on dell hard drives. for some reason the drivers never install quite like they should. im sure it has something to do with dell never including all the requird software with the computer (an additional reason to hate dell) and all the propriatary crap they throw in those things.

im sure in the end ill just bend over and buy a dell though. after all, whats an extra 2k down the drain when im already throwing down 150k for school... just means one extra week of work to pay off the loan :)

rainmkr07

• Sr. Citizen
  • Heading to Hofstra Law!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rainmkr07
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Rainmkr07
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 09:23:44 AM »
I don't believe the extra money for the on-site warranty extension plus complete care is worth it.

Just think about how much more that will cost.

Why not buy a cheaper pc, like compaq, emachine, or hp, and save a truckload.

If you had a serious, serious problem, such as had it stolen, or dropped it into a burning fire, you could buy a brand new pc, and STILL have spent less than a dell with that warranty coverage.

Just my 2 cents.  :)

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 09:40:33 AM »
i had thought of that... but given that this computer will be my life for the next 3 years i dont want to risk all the problems of a low end/inexpensive machine. id rather get a solid one that will last and not give me any problems. after all, the last thing i want to be dealing with just before finals is buying a new computer, setting it up, transfering files, etc.

i guess i just dont feel that spending a thousand more is going to change my lifestyle one bit when i graduate... but NOT spending that thousand more could really make me miserable for the next 3 years given how much ill be relying on this computer.

rainmkr07

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 09:46:52 AM »
eee - I understand completely, I debated the same thing, and I work for the warranty department in Dell.  lol.  the irony.  anyway, the choice is yours alone, and while my compaq may break down, so may the Dell.  may we both have luck with our choices, and may I not spend that $1000 I saved COMPLETELY on alcohol during my 1L year.  lol.   :D

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 09:55:00 AM »
well now that you are bringing alcohol into the picture that changes EVERYTHING...

does dell have a laptop/beer package that i could invest in? like if i upgrade to an 80 gig hard drive they will make sure that i never drop below a 0.1 blood-alc. level? :)

seriously, though... since you do work at dell (and im sure everyone and their brother asks you this type of stuff) is there anything i should know about dell laptop quality? my school is offering a pretty good deal of a 4 year on site warrany including the complete coverage for only $130 so im inclined to get that. do you know if its possible to buy a dell computer without all of the extra crap on it (aol, the demos, the trial antivirus, etc...). do you think it'd be possible to buy a dell computer with NO software installed on it (just put the cds in the box and ill install it all myself).

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 10:09:45 AM »
I think the corporate laptops (Latitude) come pretty clean, but I'm not 100% certain on that.  I stayed away from the D600 though because even though I liked it, the 600m had an option for 64MB VRAM while the D600 didn't.  And yes, I do know this means i'll play more games than I should in law school.  Oh well.

rainmkr07

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 10:28:14 AM »
Games on a laptop!?

Ya, I haven't been having any luck with that, except for solitaire and texas hold'em on zone.com.

:(

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2004, 10:47:31 AM »
Don't screw the warranty. the screen alone will cost more than half the price of the laptop to replace. . .
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.