Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What about blindness or mediocrity?  (Read 1179 times)

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
What about blindness or mediocrity?
« on: July 07, 2004, 05:25:57 AM »
When I apply to ls my wife says in my PS (or whatever) that I should include the fact that  I have "overcome adversity" I was born blind (yes all the way, you'd be surprised how many people think that blind at birth is incurable) and have struggled but surpassed (successfully)my disability of being blind in the left eye as well as having no periphreal vision and low depth perception. Plus she said I might want to consider that I was a late bloomer so to speak in grades (that meant I did poorly on avg in highschool but did rather well from start to finish in college) my hs GPA was 2.81ish and now I have (counting GRO)   3.89ish... Bottom line I was denied acceptance to the University of Az (where I currently have attended for less than 2 years and will grad in May of 05 with only a handful of transferable credit) I was astounded by the fact that I could not go to college due to my meager GPA from highschool coupled with the fact that I was out for almost 3 yrs as well    (grad hs in May 99 begun UA after acceptance from comm coll class prerequisites in Summ 02)

SO what do you think? I know I should include my eye disorder (for all your photographic memorizers my disorder is extrememly rare and degenerative as well as it is long:
4 parts and accruing more as we speak)
Hershberg estotropia
congentital ET
with complications of strabysmis (sp?) and
hightened retinal pigmentosa (whew!)   

What about the denials from UA and later acceptance due to persaverance??

Any comments would be appreciated, thanks so much...
IVY_Hopeful
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

JiggityJig

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What about blindness or mediocrity?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 11:01:59 AM »
I'd say go for it.  I don't know how much of your late-blooming was or wasn't related to your disability, but even if they're unconnected, you can draw a parallel between overcoming your disability and your persistence in trying to get into UA after being denied and the fact that when you did get in you did great.  I think you can show that you are dedicated and know how to tackle any obstacles that you face.  You've been so successful in college that I wouldn't worry a bit about being upfront about having struggled in high school and the need for you to start in community college.  And as a fellow comm coll attendee, the advice I'm hearing is that if you have a good reason for doing cc -- such as using it as a launching board, as you did -- there's not really a stigma attached.  Your story shows that you know how to work and have really come into your own academically during the past five years.

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 04:02:01 PM »
I would not phrase it as overcoming mediocrity.   :)

Although that makes me want to discuss the overwhelming immaturity that I had to overcome in order to get through college.  I probably shouldn't take that angle, huh?

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 08:26:31 PM »
Thanks, for the replies and advice that has been and continued to be supplied is well apreciated

As for medocrity, that word was used for shock value, I meant that I didn't do well in hs (probably quite the opposite to many individuals here thus creating the norm and me being mediocre with respect to hs grades)

Kepp 'em comin! Thank you all for the support and encouragement... I wish everyone the best of luck in their legal endeavors.
Ivy(Columbia)_Hopeful

Law School Numbers.com

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 08:34:45 PM »
I also plan to publish my book before ls so is that a unique clincher (it is a semi-autobiographical novel written in both 1st person narrative and 3rd person omnicient) I began it when I had time on my hands about Freshman yr of hs (not going to college FT or working FT) It is roughly 370 pages right now and just needs a concluding chapter (or just a few pages whichever) since I have already focused on all aspects and twists in the book amd my life (1996-2004) I have already submitted chapters to literary agents and they are on pins and needles waiting for the last installment (the final copy revised and grammar-spell checked) whenever I get to it they said they are very interested in publishing it under fiction (perhaps thriller/sci-fi) adult/ya

I am just conjouring up informatioln that makes me stick out as an applicant in the sea of apps that will be out there, what do you think is this an eye catcher or just an excuse for perpetual arrogance?  :-\  ;) 

Law School Numbers.com

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 09:56:19 PM »
I'd say it's definately an eye-catcher if it is published by the time apps are due.

Let us know the title if you get it published, k?

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 01:24:50 PM »
I came up with the title almost a decade ago it's entitled "Under the Stairway" By
Darrell J-B Duncan, look out for it I am sure I want to have it published before app season for myself to get that "edge"

Law School Numbers.com