Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rejections 05-06 Cycle  (Read 75726 times)

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
Re: Rejections 05-06 Cycle
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2005, 06:02:13 PM »
here is the weird thread, i'm still not sure what exactly a "gunner" is. lol http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,48417.0.html
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

revelareveritas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Something strange is afoot at the Circle K...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2005, 06:51:07 PM »
Cincinnati gave me the boot today:

"Dear [sir]:

The Admissions Committee has concluded its review of your application, and we regret to inform you that it will not be possible to offer you admission to the entering class of Fall 2006. We hope that you can appreciate that the Committee spends considerable time in its review, and that because of the small size of the College, many worthy candidates must be denied.

We want to wish you much success in your pursuit of legal studies.

Sincerely,

Bert B. Lockwood
Distinguished Service Professor of Law &
Director, Urban Morgan, Institute for Human Rights,
Chair, Admissions Committee"

Well, at least I can cross this one off the list. I do find their copious grammatical errors and technicalities amusing, however.

First, anything is "possible", so, rather than saying that, "it will not be possible" to admit me, to be perfectly candid, they should rather say something like, "we decline to admit you". If they want to, they could technically admit me, so it is "possible". After, all, the choice is entirely theirs...

Secondly, they couldn't have spent THAT much "considerable time" reviewing my application since their application deadline is April 1st and they've only had my application for a month! It just goes to show that they have a definite, hard cut-off, and I just didn't cut the mustard...

Lastly, the statement that "many worthy candidates must be denied" is politically-correct nonsense! If you are not accepted, you are, in actuality, not worthy! You did not meet their standards for admission and therefore were not considered worthy of acceptance! At least tell it like it is, people! If you are worthy, you get accepted; if you are unworthy, you get rejected...

Here's what I might have written in their stead:

Dear [sir]:

Thank you for your application to Cincinnati Law. Unfortunately, you do not meet the minimum requirements for admission consideration at our fine school. As we only consider those students with at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA and 167 LSAT score, your numbers simply didn't match up. Therefore, we decline to consider your application or even give you the chance for comparision against the other 400 applicants who will undoubtedly apply between now and April 1, 2006. This is entirely our choice and has everything to do with our perception of your worth as a human being, but cheer up! The $50 application fee you sent in will be put to good use in buying coffee for our underpaid office staff this month! And good luck getting into law school elsewhere! (You'll need it...)

Cherio,

The Admissions Department
"It's not whether Iran likes carrots," he said. "Iran likes carrots. Iran demands carrots! If there is to be a solution in Iran, carrots must be part of the solution! We don't expect others to cook carrots for us then present them and then tell us, 'Eat them or else.' We can cook our own carrots!"

john83

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2005, 11:00:29 AM »
First, anything is "possible", so, rather than saying that, "it will not be possible" to admit me, to be perfectly candid, they should rather say something like, "we decline to admit you". If they want to, they could technically admit me, so it is "possible". After, all, the choice is entirely theirs...

Secondly, they couldn't have spent THAT much "considerable time" reviewing my application since their application deadline is April 1st and they've only had my application for a month! It just goes to show that they have a definite, hard cut-off, and I just didn't cut the mustard...

Lastly, the statement that "many worthy candidates must be denied" is politically-correct nonsense! If you are not accepted, you are, in actuality, not worthy! You did not meet their standards for admission and therefore were not considered worthy of acceptance! At least tell it like it is, people! If you are worthy, you get accepted; if you are unworthy, you get rejected...

this is a thoughtful argument. i didn't take the time to analyze my reject letter yet. maybe i should. and i do wonder, for example, would Harvard send the same reject letter to a 168/3.5 as a 145/2.0?

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2005, 02:14:21 PM »
this is a thoughtful argument. i didn't take the time to analyze my reject letter yet. maybe i should. and i do wonder, for example, would Harvard send the same reject letter to a 168/3.5 as a 145/2.0?

I bet.  What else would they do?  And what would be their motivation?  I mean, I know their crest says "Veritas" but I don't think they take it that seriously.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2005, 11:42:50 AM »
Well hear we got again. Obviously I will be posting here the most. I did sent like 28applications!! Today was yet another rejection, this time to a higherranked extreme far reach school. I thought I had a small chance b/c I applied to their minority SPACE program, obviously not, not with my bad LSAT. What ever, back to waiting. Oh yea I forgot to say It was Temple Law and applied both Full and Part time. It came a lot faster than last  year, i guess they are doing things quickers this time. DAme you OWLSSSSSSSSSSS :(
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

verbal213

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go crazy folks, go crazy!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2005, 04:49:12 PM »
Georgetown reject.
<a href="http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=verbal213> LSN [/url]

Meatwad make the money, see.  Meatwad get the honeys, G.  Driving in my car, living like a star, ice on my fingers and my toes and on my Taurus.

77Inches

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2005, 04:53:15 PM »
Verbal, it's been bugging me for a while...

"POTSIE", not "POTISE".

verbal213

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go crazy folks, go crazy!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2005, 04:54:42 PM »
Verbal, it's been bugging me for a while...

"POTSIE", not "POTISE".

Hey thanks, I knew that, just a typo.
<a href="http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=verbal213> LSN [/url]

Meatwad make the money, see.  Meatwad get the honeys, G.  Driving in my car, living like a star, ice on my fingers and my toes and on my Taurus.

gettingalongfamously

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2005, 09:29:54 PM »
Sorry 'bout the ding, verbal, but if it's any consolation, I got the same news today!
Accepted: Boalt, Fordham, Iowa ($$), U. Washington, UC Hastings, Loyola (Chicago) ($$)
Rejected: Georgetown, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Chicago
Deferred: Penn
Waitlisted: Northwestern, Michigan
Nothin yet: Stanford

kiyakoiya

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2005, 04:49:47 PM »
Sorry 'bout the ding, verbal, but if it's any consolation, I got the same news today!

numbers, getting along famously?