Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is anyone else feeling really stressed out about the test? How are you coping?  (Read 535 times)

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone else out there is also feeling really stressed out with the test just a month away? I'm studying but I am having trouble getting the score I want and also with the time contraints. I think I'm stress primarily because I started the whole process pretty late and will only have 1 1/2 months  time to study for the Dec. test, because I really want to go to law school next year. But at this point, I've already taken 15 practice tests, in like 3 weeks, which is probably more than most people take when they study for multiple months. I've read a few books, including the LGR, but I've mainly just skimmed through books to get an idea of how to do each section. LR and RC came naturally to me and the LGB seemed to help somewhat, but I am still not getting the score I constant want. To be specific, I am aiming for 160-165 and I started out scoring this way but recently my score have dropped to like 157, 158, 159 on my last three tests and that gets me worried because I am expecting to do a few points less on the actual exam.

How are you guys coping with the stress? I'm just like really worried and am not doing too well with the stress factor, like I think it's hindering my performance on practice tests.

Can someone give me some advice on how to relax? Should I take a few days off to relax and get my mind together or is there no time to waste?

I've typically been clocking in about 2-3 hours M-Th. and about 4-5 hours on Fridays and 8 hours each on Sat./Sunday.

lex19

just make sure you don't burn out and to focus on quality not quantity...also you may want to take one full day off from all lsat activities

aufhebung

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Try to relax a little - it sounds like you're getting pretty worked up about the LSAT, which will only add to your troubles!

Plus, I would recommend doing FEWER practice tests - and after you do one, score it, and really spend some time with the ones you got wrong.  Try to figure out what happened (misread because of stress/couldn't figure out how to diagram the game/ran out of time, etc.)  If you're doing a practice test every day, you probably don't have the time to review and learn from your mistakes.  If I were you I'd do at most two a week, with my other study sessions working on game strategy and reviewing my wrong answers

Good luck

Wolvie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
jd - looks like you and i are in the same position - same scores, same time frame. its stressful...but its forums like this that help. misery loves company and don't worry, there are a ton of us that are feeling the way you are.

i'm so busy with lsat/apps/school that i feel like i don't have time to relax until after this month - which is fine with me, because i can't get things done without pressure. but the best thing for me is to watch sometime numbing whenever i am feeling overwhelmed...i find that when i am reading a book (my favorite pastime) i am searching the context for terms that might be used in questions, questionable logic, etc. i know, im crazy.

just wanted to say that i'm feelin ya.

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
jd - looks like you and i are in the same position - same scores, same time frame. its stressful...but its forums like this that help. misery loves company and don't worry, there are a ton of us that are feeling the way you are.

i'm so busy with lsat/apps/school that i feel like i don't have time to relax until after this month - which is fine with me, because i can't get things done without pressure. but the best thing for me is to watch sometime numbing whenever i am feeling overwhelmed...i find that when i am reading a book (my favorite pastime) i am searching the context for terms that might be used in questions, questionable logic, etc. i know, im crazy.

just wanted to say that i'm feelin ya.

thanks man. i feel you. just wanted to warn you that the real thing is a lot harder than taking it at home. that's kind of why i got stressed out.

we'll both do great man.

tulip

• View Profile
hey guys, i'm in there with you (lower scores though)... I fluctuate like crazy anwhere between 147 and 155, it just depends on the LR and LG.  They either pull me up or bring me way down...  Coping with stress - WINE  :P  I'm an anxious person to begin with this test just adds on to my "extra baggage", if you know what I mean. 

lex19

anyone who is having trouble b/c they become extra anxious wirh the time constraint should try having someone else procter their practice test or even just a section or try using the microwave or oven timer just to see what happens when you don't have a clock directly in front of you.....this is what i'm doing today and tomorrow, i'll let y'all know how it goes

Wolvie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
i took the oct lsat and cancelled my score (sooo glad that i did). but on test day i was totally relaxed and focused. for some reason i wasnt nervous. i think i'll be fine test day in dec, i just can't wait until then. one more month of this craziness!

SolarysBlue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
You know your stressed when you start dreaming about it. Also I'm beginning to get more annoyed. I hadn't thought of wine to get me relaxed.

Wolvie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
i dream about it too. what wrong with us? :)