Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Salary Negotiation  (Read 2871 times)

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
Re: Salary Negotiation
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2005, 12:12:09 AM »
That assumes that the employer finds everyone (or at least someone else) who is seeking employment with that employer equally desirable.  I negotiated my salary as a law professor and there are MANY other people who are in the market, who I am sure would have taken the original offer.  Also, NO employer comes out the box with their best offer.

I think you're right in that law professors can negotiate salaries, but that probably has to do with the fact that there is a wider range of qualifications involved than in entry-level non-academic positions.  

Of course no one comes out with their best offer, but even the richest firms would laugh in your face if you tried to negotiate your salary with them for an entry-level position.  

I think no one would laugh in your face if you try to negotiate your salary with a firm or anyone else.  I think it is all in how you do it.  In addition, it is easier to negotiate in any position if you have more than one offer.

like i already said, LP.... :D

i don't have the sense of entitlement that many of my peers in this profession do.  sh*t, i think 2400/week is too much for the level of expertise i will have as a rising 3L.  i take my money and run! :P

I would take the 2400 if that was all I thought I could get. ;D

do law profs get more than that?

I dont, but I am sure some do. ;)
Back in the saddle again.

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2005, 12:14:00 AM »
That assumes that the employer finds everyone (or at least someone else) who is seeking employment with that employer equally desirable.  I negotiated my salary as a law professor and there are MANY other people who are in the market, who I am sure would have taken the original offer.  Also, NO employer comes out the box with their best offer.

I think you're right in that law professors can negotiate salaries, but that probably has to do with the fact that there is a wider range of qualifications involved than in entry-level non-academic positions.  

Of course no one comes out with their best offer, but even the richest firms would laugh in your face if you tried to negotiate your salary with them for an entry-level position.  

I think no one would laugh in your face if you try to negotiate your salary with a firm or anyone else.  I think it is all in how you do it.  In addition, it is easier to negotiate in any position if you have more than one offer.

i don't have the sense of entitlement that many of my peers in this profession do.  sh*t, i think 2400/week is too much for the level of expertise i will have as a rising 3L.  i take my money and run! :P

sorry, i didn't mean to pry.  i just honestly have no idea what law profs make.  i wonder how much of a variation there is between lesser-known schools and schools like yale.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2005, 12:26:16 AM »

sorry, i didn't mean to pry.  i just honestly have no idea what law profs make.  i wonder how much of a variation there is between lesser-known schools and schools like yale.
If I felt uncomfortable, I would have said so.  No biggie.  If you want to know, go to www.saltlaw.org and go to their annual salary survey under the publications tab at the top of the page.  That tells what about half the different schools pay their law professors.  Some of it depends on the school and some of it depends on the location of the school and some of it depends on the professor.  I am sure there are many other factors that go into it as well.

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2005, 12:44:46 AM »

If I felt uncomfortable, I would have said so.  No biggie.  If you want to know, go to www.saltlaw.org and go to their annual salary survey under the publications tab at the top of the page.  That tells what about half the different schools pay their law professors.  Some of it depends on the school and some of it depends on the location of the school and some of it depends on the professor.  I am sure there are many other factors that go into it as well.

excellent. thanks! :-*
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2005, 01:05:39 AM »

excellent. thanks! :-*

Anytime.  Always glad to be of assistance. :)

seu2002

« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2005, 12:46:48 PM »
wack and getting called out as usual...   lmao!!   :D :D :D :D :D

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2005, 09:34:24 PM »
shouldnt you be studying???

seu2002

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2005, 10:39:16 PM »
i was sick today.  i took my first day off of the entire semester.  the only reason i did that, too, is bc one of my classes was cancelled so i didnt feel too guilty.  i feel alot better.  tomorrow will be hell.  i hope i recouped.  :(

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2005, 01:21:43 AM »
Awwwww, it is good that you took the day off to recoup.  I am sure you will be recouped by the morning.  Is recouped even a word?  Good luck with the rest of the semester and with your finals.