Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Salary Negotiation  (Read 2780 times)

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
Re: Salary Negotiation
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2005, 09:29:42 PM »
That assumes that the employer finds everyone (or at least someone else) who is seeking employment with that employer equally desirable.  I negotiated my salary as a law professor and there are MANY other people who are in the market, who I am sure would have taken the original offer.  Also, NO employer comes out the box with their best offer.

I think you're right in that law professors can negotiate salaries, but that probably has to do with the fact that there is a wider range of qualifications involved than in entry-level non-academic positions.  

Of course no one comes out with their best offer, but even the richest firms would laugh in your face if you tried to negotiate your salary with them for an entry-level position.  
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

lex19

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2005, 09:33:49 PM »
i know you're a 2L and have probably secured a job for the summer but other than that what other real world experience do you have as far as negotiating salary in the legal profession?? talk about it after you walk it

i know a few people who will be willing to say otherwise about salaries & the legal world..these are people that are also working in it and would know

My point is that, in any realm of the legal profession, there are so many more applicants than positions, that there's always going to be someone who is willing to take the bare-bones deal when it comes to salary/bonus/extras.  Neotiating in such a competitive field could be disasterously counter-productive.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2005, 09:39:47 PM »
i know you're a 2L and have probably secured a job for the summer but other than that what other real world experience do you have as far as negotiating salary in the legal profession?? talk about it after you walk it

i know a few people who will be willing to say otherwise about salaries & the legal world..these are people that are also working in it and would know

My point is that, in any realm of the legal profession, there are so many more applicants than positions, that there's always going to be someone who is willing to take the bare-bones deal when it comes to salary/bonus/extras.  Neotiating in such a competitive field could be disasterously counter-productive.

a very good family friend is a senior partner at a Vault20 firm.  i trust what he's told me.

lex19

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2005, 09:42:32 PM »
yeah and my one good friend works at a vault20 firm, another is general counsel for a big 5 acct firm and another is VP for a lobbying firm on the hill, i trust what they've all told me  ;)

edit: like others said there is plenty of work outside of firms

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2005, 09:47:28 PM »
hey, do your thing. i can't stop you.  if you want to negotiate, go ahead.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2005, 09:47:47 PM »
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2005, 09:49:49 PM »
That assumes that the employer finds everyone (or at least someone else) who is seeking employment with that employer equally desirable.  I negotiated my salary as a law professor and there are MANY other people who are in the market, who I am sure would have taken the original offer.  Also, NO employer comes out the box with their best offer.

I think you're right in that law professors can negotiate salaries, but that probably has to do with the fact that there is a wider range of qualifications involved than in entry-level non-academic positions.  

Of course no one comes out with their best offer, but even the richest firms would laugh in your face if you tried to negotiate your salary with them for an entry-level position.  

I think no one would laugh in your face if you try to negotiate your salary with a firm or anyone else.  I think it is all in how you do it.  In addition, it is easier to negotiate in any position if you have more than one offer.
Back in the saddle again.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2005, 09:55:49 PM »

I think no one would laugh in your face if you try to negotiate your salary with a firm or anyone else.  I think it is all in how you do it.  In addition, it is easier to negotiate in any position if you have more than one offer.

like i already said, LP.... :D

i don't have the sense of entitlement that many of my peers in this profession do.  *&^%, i think 2400/week is too much for the level of expertise i will have as a rising 3L.  i take my money and run! :P

lex19

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2005, 09:59:47 PM »
get off of your high horse ruskie, b/c as far as i'm concerned you haven't experienced enough to actually speak on the topic of salary negotiations period (like i said before) alhough we both may have friends who do know everyone has a different experience and nothing is definite.....and neither of us are in the position to negotiate (in the legal profession) so your last statement was just idiotic, and why do you always have to comment on something, especially when you haven't a clue about what's going on??

hey, do your thing. i can't stop you.  if you want to negotiate, go ahead.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2005, 10:02:19 PM »
Hi Lex!

hey LP!
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...