Law School Discussion

Gt

Re: Georgetown
« Reply #330 on: February 02, 2006, 03:19:54 PM »
And what a libertarian you are; I make one remark and you label me as a communist?  So much for free speech. 

note: libertarian in the 19th century philosophical sense, not the modern day political party sense.
And what a hypocrite you are; these students hold one silent demonstration and you call them childish, farting third graders? So much for freedom of expression.

note: hypocrite in the hypocritical sense, as in "you're a hypocrite."

lol.  Alright this has gone far enough.  I'm sorry if my "note" made me look like a "feminine hygiene product"  :D  Enough with the animosity.  To quote an LSD poster's name, let's eat, drink and be merry.  Life's too short for this sort of quibbling and I'm sorry I got into it in the first place.  To rephrase Voltaire, I disapprove of their protest, but I will defend to the death their right to do so.

« Reply #331 on: February 02, 2006, 03:28:21 PM »
What I do know is that the practice he was defending has been used by presidents before George Bush, including Bill Clinton, and is perfectly legal. 

Not to prolong this discussion too long, but this is not accurate.  The FISA courts were established in 1978, so it is correct to say that Presidents might have done similar things prior to the FISA rules.  However, during those times it was not illegal.  Furthermore, Clinton recently said he always got approval from the FISA court for wiretapping.  I think some of the rules changed in 1996 and -- except for right-wing crazies -- people think Clinton played by the rules on this.  What Bush is doing is clearly against the 1978 and 1996 FISA law.

FISA has never rejected a request from the Bush admin for a wiretapping request.  Bush could have gone to them for an approval even after the wiretapping occurred, but he did not.

Yale College Inferno

• New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 02, 2006, 03:34:30 PM »
lol.  Alright this has gone far enough.  I'm sorry if my "note" made me look like a "feminine hygiene product"  :D  Enough with the animosity.  To quote an LSD poster's name, let's eat, drink and be merry.  Life's too short for this sort of quibbling and I'm sorry I got into it in the first place.  To rephrase Voltaire, I disapprove of their protest, but I will defend to the death their right to do so.

All right, then. Sorry for pouncing on you. I'm usually pretty levelheaded, but once in a while I read something that makes me snap and I fight fire with fire.

If you would really defend these students' right to protest despite your personal disapproval, that's very impressive.

« Reply #333 on: February 02, 2006, 04:22:02 PM »
If you would really defend these students' right to protest despite your personal disapproval, that's very impressive.

Thanks.  Congrats on all your awesome acceptances and its too bad I couldn't join the group at the Gtown admit gathering but I hope I'll run into you at another school's event.

SFnative

« Reply #334 on: February 06, 2006, 05:07:07 PM »

Thanks.  Congrats on all your awesome acceptances and its too bad I couldn't join the group at the Gtown admit gathering but I hope I'll run into you at another school's event.

In at G-town! So thats Boalt and G-town down. I am having luck with schools ranked no. 11...so maybe cornell will make it all three no.11 schools?

TrojanChispas

• , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 06, 2006, 05:08:01 PM »
congrats dude!

SanchoPanzo

• My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 06, 2006, 05:22:07 PM »
Congrats SFnative

SFnative

« Reply #337 on: February 06, 2006, 06:09:48 PM »
Congrats SFnative

Thanks, u got into columbia, which is my dream school!

« Reply #338 on: February 23, 2006, 04:29:52 PM »
Into Georgetown!

For those still waiting, I'll likely withdraw from them unless I manage to get the Public Law scholarship (don't remember what it's called). We'll see what happens.