Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pre-law advisor - bad advice?  (Read 545 times)

Guerito

• View Profile
Pre-law advisor - bad advice?
« on: November 03, 2005, 09:12:38 AM »
I had the pre-law advisor from my undergrad read through my personal statement and diversity statement and he gave me a little bit of feedback but admitted he was not exactly up-to-speed on what's expected in the essays.  The advice from him that I am questioning is that he told me to be more "matter of fact" instead of telling a story and describe the basic facts "as clinically and briefly as possible". 

Does this sound like good advice or a good approach to a diversity statement (or any essay, for that matter)?  When writing a diversity statement, do adcoms expect it to be "just the facts"??  Thanks for any input!

lsatshrink

Re: Pre-law advisor - bad advice?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 09:42:00 AM »
I had the pre-law advisor from my undergrad read through my personal statement and diversity statement and he gave me a little bit of feedback but admitted he was not exactly up-to-speed on what's expected in the essays.  The advice from him that I am questioning is that he told me to be more "matter of fact" instead of telling a story and describe the basic facts "as clinically and briefly as possible". 

Does this sound like good advice or a good approach to a diversity statement (or any essay, for that matter)?  When writing a diversity statement, do adcoms expect it to be "just the facts"??  Thanks for any input!

A cursory glance indicates the prelaw advisor in question has a faulty communications path between the frontal lobe and amygdala.  I've seen this in other patients whose calcium and norepinephrine pathway is distorted from excessive time on college-girl internet picture sites.  To put it bluntly, your prelaw advisor is projecting his own inadequate life events onto you.  Should you accept his worldview as your own limitation?

On top  of this, I believe there is also an underlying case of immature cognitive development.  The 'personal' statement is what it says 'personal' and not an 'objective' statement.  According to Anna Ivey and Montauk, the personal statement gives insight into who you are as a person.  The objective factors come from the application, LSAT, GPA, and resume.  That is not to say it should be a science fiction story riddled with megalomania and narcissism, but you should find a way to integrate the factually objective with the personal.  Time may be objective, but life events are nothing more than the juxtaposition of fragmented experiences.

I would be interested in making contact with your prelaw advisor for an experiment I'm conducting.  The experiment involves the social congruence of rats to communicate with other member rats on how to navigate through a maze to reach a reward.  With cheese as the reward the rats perform better than humans, however I believe if we use your prelaw advisor and college-girl-nudy-pictures as the reward, performance in humans will be superior.

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-law advisor - bad advice?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 09:54:41 AM »

From what I can tell, the best piece of advice he gave you was that he wasn't up-to-speed on what was expected with the essays.  Find somebody who is. 
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?