Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Schools that don't mention a diversity statement  (Read 1138 times)

jujunyc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Schools that don't mention a diversity statement
« on: November 02, 2005, 10:43:20 PM »
I'm a Hispanic female and I'm trying to decide whether to attach a diversity statement to applications that make no mention of including one or, by contrast, ask for one as an explanation of "social, economic, or historical disadvantage, or experience of discrimination". These are anywhere from Columbia, which is my top choice, to Fordham, also pretty high on my list.

Opinions on this? I am including a diversity statement for schools (like Harvard, which I am only applying to as a shot in the dark) that ask for one as an optional essay to tell more about us as applicants.

I'm especially curious cause I did grow up in a middle class suburbs scenario, so I don't claim social, educational or economic disadvantage here or on my application...but there certainly is a historical disadvantage for Latinos becoming lawyers in the US and I would be the first since my mom and her family immigrated from Nicaragua to attend grad school. My Dad's family immigrated from Europe, ie my Grandmother leaving to escape Austria before Hitler invaded, by way of background...so I'm just as much a mixture as anyone here, and my statement discusses that fact. Any thoughts are welcome.

chrisfield

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas Tech ---> Fall 2006
    • View Profile
Re: Schools that don't mention a diversity statement
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 09:49:56 AM »
I'm a Hispanic female and I'm trying to decide whether to attach a diversity statement to applications that make no mention of including one or, by contrast, ask for one as an explanation of "social, economic, or historical disadvantage, or experience of discrimination". These are anywhere from Columbia, which is my top choice, to Fordham, also pretty high on my list.

Opinions on this? I am including a diversity statement for schools (like Harvard, which I am only applying to as a shot in the dark) that ask for one as an optional essay to tell more about us as applicants.

I'm especially curious cause I did grow up in a middle class suburbs scenario, so I don't claim social, educational or economic disadvantage here or on my application...but there certainly is a historical disadvantage for Latinos becoming lawyers in the US and I would be the first since my mom and her family immigrated from Nicaragua to attend grad school. My Dad's family immigrated from Europe, ie my Grandmother leaving to escape Austria before Hitler invaded, by way of background...so I'm just as much a mixture as anyone here, and my statement discusses that fact. Any thoughts are welcome.

I called the 8 schools that I am applying to (tier 2's) and they all said "that would be fine."

chrisfield

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas Tech ---> Fall 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 09:53:33 AM »
Any school should allow you to attach information you feel is relevant to the consideration of your application, whether or not it is explicitly requested in their application. It certainly can't hurt; at worst, it would be disregarded. So I would attach a diversity statement, especially if you would be the first in your family to pursue a graduate degree.

Just keep it short.  One page double space.

jujunyc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 11:15:40 PM »
Perfect, that's how long mine is...thanks for the input!