Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GTA ok?  (Read 872 times)

mancow555

GTA ok?
« on: July 06, 2004, 04:14:58 PM »
i have my #1 rec in the bag (i think) with a physics professor, whose class i was the only student in that semester (luckily i got an A).  as an engineering physics major, i didn't get the opportunity to take many liberal arts classes.  the liberal arts class that i did take, that had a major writing component to it, i got an A in.  so, i think that teacher would be a good candidate for a recommendation, but the class was an entry level philosophy course taught by a GTA.  also, i'm 1.5 to 2 years removed from his class, and he likely won't remember me specifically.  i called the philosophy department, and the GTA is going to be around this fall.  he's a very laid back guy and i think i would be able to get a good recommendation from him.  i'm thinking of contacting him by email within a couple of weeks.  is getting my #2 rec from a GTA very acceptable?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: GTA ok?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 09:14:13 AM »
Yes, I think that's acceptable.  It seems that schools only care about getting recs from people who know your work, and at many schools, gta's are the best way to do that, since large lectures somewhat hinder the professor-student relationship.  If you feel this person can give an accurate assessment of your abilities (with reminders of a couple papers written, etc, since it's been a year or so), go for it.