Law School Discussion

kruddler

• Lubbock.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« on: November 02, 2005, 03:10:38 PM »

jacy85

• View Profile
Re: Diversity/disability -- does bipolar count?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 05:14:24 PM »
I wouldn't point attention to any mental health diagnosis you may have, especiall something like bipolar disorder or severe depression.

Law school is arguably the most stressful expeience of some people's lives (or at least the most stressful to date), and an adcom may wonder if, even despite medication, the stress might prove too much.  Schools want individuals who will complete all 3 years and pass the bar or at least go out in the world and represent the school in business or whatever.

Not all adcoms will think this, but that one that reads your file might.  It's a matter of whether or not you chose to take that risk.

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 10:06:51 AM »
It's not as uncommon as people think. I've got it. 1 semester I had 2 F's & a D due to the condition. Prior to that I had a 3.8 gpa. The only thing I will write in my addendum is that I had a medical condition which was successfully treated. I'm in the opinion that you shouldn't talk about in your ps or get specific. Just my opinion. I've read too many ps that deal w/mental illness so if you think it's "diverse" it's not, unfortunetly. 

corky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 02:04:17 PM »
I wouldn't mention it. As unfair as it is, most adcoms will read that and go "we have enough lawyers developing depression or becoming alcoholics, we don't want someone who goes in with a problem." Unless you need to explain a bad semester or year, I would definitely shy away from anything which will make them wonder as to your competency in law school.

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 02:12:32 PM »
I wouldn't mention it.  I've known bi-polar people, and the last thing I want to do is be around them during stressful situations.

I did have sex with a bi-polar/OCD chick once, and it was the best sex I ever had.  Crazy chicks make for wild sex.  She tried making my life pure hell later, which lasted for years, but that's a different story.

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 10:13:56 PM »
Paperback- your name isn't Jeremy by any chance?  :D JK!! I'm the most mellow person usually.

Paperback- I read somewhere on here that you are in the military. Is that true?

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 10:21:01 PM »
Paperback- your name isn't Jeremy by any chance?  :D JK!! I'm the most mellow person usually.

Paperback- I read somewhere on here that you are in the military. Is that true?

JK?  Hey, how'd you know?  Er, uh, no, I...no...I couldn't possibly be JK.  What gave you that idea?!?!

Never been in the military.

You don't know me.

We never met.

No.

Really, we didn't.

;) :D

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 10:26:02 PM »
jk= just kidding.

oh what a shame  ;). Who wouldn't want to get it on w/john lennon's avatar.

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 10:33:06 PM »
jk= just kidding.

oh what a shame  ;). Who wouldn't want to get it on w/john lennon's avatar.

I'm very shallow.  Two dimensional.  And, only three, maybe four, colors.