Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYU app process  (Read 715 times)

goodgal

• View Profile
NYU app process
« on: November 02, 2005, 02:27:33 PM »

viridianx

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - viridianx
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: NYU app process
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 02:33:59 PM »
I thought there was a separate group for those scholarships...perhaps with the input of some more people (e.g. the donors or their relatives), but I have no reason to believe this.  If it's the same committee, I would think they may read more than they should, but overall, I'd say no.  They prolly have too much to read now as it is...though they may read through them all and break them up into piles.  So, I guess I have no idea.
Attending: UPENN!!!

thescreed

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 02:52:25 PM »
I thought there was a separate group for those scholarships...perhaps with the input of some more people (e.g. the donors or their relatives), but I have no reason to believe this.  If it's the same committee, I would think they may read more than they should, but overall, I'd say no.  They prolly have too much to read now as it is...though they may read through them all and break them up into piles.  So, I guess I have no idea.

Good feedback, thanks! For the record, I also have no idea.

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 03:09:00 PM »
I think that I read something in their online chat transcript from last year that suggested that scholarship things really won't be read during the admission process.  You can look it up; it's the only chat they posted from last year.  But I'm not sure a) that I'm remembering correctly, or b) if they're telling the truth.

lava

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 03:14:40 PM »
I just find it interesting that NYU has you send in all that info at once rather than to a separate scholarship committee like most schools.  Makes me wonder if they might read it.  Not to mention the fact that the extra rec may be relatively indecipherable from the other 2 if you do a lot of PI work for example.

Kansas

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 03:25:24 PM »
I'm complete at NYU and haven't yet submitted my scholarship materials (though I checked the box to let them know I was applying), so that makes me suspect that there really are 2 separate processes.

lava

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 04:11:53 PM »
hmm.  when i called, i was told i had to submit RTK info WITH my application.  in any event, it is all going to the same office.

Kansas

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 04:42:47 PM »
Don't know if it matters to anyone at this point, but I called today and they said it was fine to submit scholarship materials separately (in this case, 2 months after I submitted my application).

corky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 06:17:50 PM »
I wish I had work experience so I could apply for one of their scholarships. No wait, that's why I'm going to law school in the first place. :)
HLS '09

SkipTown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 08:33:58 PM »
Don't know if it matters to anyone at this point, but I called today and they said it was fine to submit scholarship materials separately (in this case, 2 months after I submitted my application).

Thanks Kansas. Perfect example of how these boards benefit AdComms and applicants. They save the schools time and they keep us informed.

I was worried that not having applied might hurt my chances because they might interpret it as an indicator that I was not that interested or serious about attending NYU (which is the opposite of the truth).