Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: For those who've take in it: How stressful is test day?  (Read 732 times)

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
For those who've take in it: How stressful is test day?
« on: November 02, 2005, 01:47:44 AM »
I've been practicing and things are going pretty well but I haven't taken a full test yet - meaning 5 sections, only 1 break + the writing sample.

For those of you who have already taken the LSAT, how stressful was test day really? Were you feeling pretty normal while taking the test?

I have this fear that I will be really nervous on test day and will slip somewhere and lose my confidence and do really bad... I need some help!!

uwofresh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: For those who've take in it: How stressful is test day?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 01:49:58 AM »
The stress is ...indescribable.  I think it's more of nervousness and fear than stress.  However, most of ppl only go down 1-2 scale points so if you're doing good right now, you shouldn't worry.  Work on your sleeping habits and you should be golden.

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 01:54:51 AM »
Yeah, I do find that kind of weird that most people only go down a couple points. I mean, with all of the nerves and all, it wouldn't surprise me that someone who was really tense would miss A LOT of easy, simply questions that they probably wouldn't have missed at home.

I think one thing to remember is that everyone who wants to go to law school must face lsat day, so we are all in the same boat and a lot of people do really well. The thing that really bothers me about the test, though, is that most schools average scores, which means you really dont have much of a second chance. I remember when I was studying for the SAT's, I always kept in the back of my mind that if I tanked, I could always retake and colleges would accept the higher score. I guess we have a lot more safety nets as kids.

snikrep

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 02:36:20 AM »
The stress of the day is nothing compared with the following 3 weeks waiting for your score... one of the worst tortures known to man I think (next to being pregnant perhaps? nah).

vl002001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 03:06:43 AM »
i agree with all of this.
the stress is INTENSE. you're there at the crack of dawn, probably had very little sleep. there's 100's of people around you, some very very old, some very very young. there's a loooong instructional period, they fingerprint you, check all your stuff for cheat sheets or whatever (tho what good waht that do anyway)..

and then the 3 weeks
i can honestly say the 3 weeks is way worse.
way way way way worse.

im so glad i got a decent score cuz my greatest fear in that 3 weeks was going through it again.

zenpeaceofmind

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zenpeaceofmind
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - zenpeaceofmind
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 01:55:26 PM »
When it was over, I could hardly stand up. I literally left every ounce of energy I had on the desk.

I couldn't have driven myself home ... luckily, I had a ride.

I didn't think I would be that nervous, but alas, I was.

:-\

12(e)

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's your towel?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 02:07:55 PM »
Hmm... I must be the odd one out.

I was pretty nervous that morning, but by the time the test started, I had calmed down.  The adrenaline was helpful, though, I was more focused than usual, and I actually went up a point or two from my practice average.
your stupid                                                 
My What?

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 02:42:58 PM »
I think it all depends on you.  For weeks, I was physched for the exam and that day I wasn't really nervous at all.  I had a few butterflys, but there was no stress/nervousness factor.  But, I scored 2-3 points lower than my last few practice tests, so who's to say what will affect you?
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

practiceboy02

• Sr. Citizen
  • Still misbehaving in law school
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 04:07:46 PM »
The best way to prepare for test day stress is to make your practice testing conditions as diverse and as adverse as possible.  Give yourself a miserable order of the sections... give yourself a generous order of the sections... take it in an noisy room... take it in an uncomfortably quiet room... take it very early in the morning... take it very late at night... take it on plenty of sleep, take it on little to no sleep, take it on full stomach, take it on an empty stomach, etc etc etc.  If you're comfortable in all of these types of situations, you're minimizing risk as much as you possibly can.

Unfortunately, however, risk can never really be minimized to the point where it doesn't exist

texaschic

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - faithdavis09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 04:25:19 PM »
TOTALLY PAINFUL.  My neck hurt so bad as it went on, I could hardly hold my head up.  You really need to take as many practice tests as possible.  My score went down about 5 points on the real thing, and I would of taken way more practices if I had known.  I only took two (and only one was under the true conditions), and I've now discovered that people sometimes take like 15-20. I still did OK, but you really need to be prepared as much as possible.