Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Third Tier Toilets: the New T14?  (Read 1308 times)

SkullTatt

Third Tier Toilets: the New T14?
« on: November 02, 2005, 12:21:56 AM »
I've been looking at law firms in SF, looking at the schools where the attorneys got their JD's, and I was surprised to see that one relatively big law firm (several hundred attorneys) has this strange breakdown of associates where like 30% are from Boalt, and 30% are from Santa Clara, and the rest are a mixed bag from all over.

Food for thought if that TTT gives you $$$, I am definitely doing more research into this.

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Third Tier Toilets: the New T14?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 01:33:14 AM »
I have been looking at law firms here in NY, a lot of the partners are from schools like St. John or Hofstra.  So being educated at one of those low ranking schools is certainly not the end of the world.

KayakAnyone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 01:38:09 AM »
Bonkers- any feld of the santa clara associates?  santa clara has a solid and somewhat impressive reputation in IP etc.... so I could definitely see where that comes into play.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 02:14:16 AM »
I've been looking at law firms in SF, looking at the schools where the attorneys got their JD's, and I was surprised to see that one relatively big law firm (several hundred attorneys) has this strange breakdown of associates where like 30% are from Boalt, and 30% are from Santa Clara, and the rest are a mixed bag from all over.

Food for thought if that TTT gives you $$$, I am definitely doing more research into this.

Many big firms are like that (maybe not 30%, but a sizable # of lawyers), with lawyers from lower-ranked  local schools. Some firms in LA are like this with Loyola. You need to be near the top of your class for those opportunities though.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

JCD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 04:56:25 AM »
I think individual characteristics are more important than the school you go to. If you're a great candidate from a crappy school, you'll have plenty of prospects. A bad school gives you a lot less leeway though.

The one downside is that you won't be able to use your degree as a crutch in the absence of personal ability. It's a perfectly valid strategy to go to a top school and hire into the most prestigious firm that will take you. Then fly under the radar until you are "asked to leave", at which point you'll easily find a new job due to the prestige of your school and former firm. Rinse and repeat.

It's an enticing option...I only wonder how long the charade can be maintained.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 04:59:55 AM »
I *heart* this thread.

We become so numbers-obsessed that we fail to keep in mind that, unless you're at the worst of the worst, a good candidate can do well pretty much anywhere in the world of law.  The trick is to put as much effort into your law school experience as you can, and learn how to be an impressive interviewee.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

be10dwn

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 08:49:48 AM »
and most of these "crappy" school are not crappy at all.  Just because every school aint Harvard doesnt mean it is crappy.  I take generic excedrine and it cures my headache just as well as the overpriced real thing.

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 09:44:08 AM »
I've talked to as many people as I can about this for my loacl situation - Boston.  As far as I can tell, almost all the opportunities for BC/BU grads are also available to Suffolk grads.  The difference being that coming from Suffolk, you'll probably need to be in the top 5% to get them to look at you. 

The other thing I'm hearing a lot of, is that once you get the interview, your school and numbers and rank matter a lot less.  Apparently, personality can go a long way because there are a lot of people suffering from a severe lack of it.  But, of course, personality won't get you an interview. 
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

Law2k6

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 09:49:01 AM »
I've been thinking about this too. Indiaan sent me a fee waiver and mentioned I qualified for their highest award that pas full tution + $8,000/yr. stipend. That's pretty enticing. There's no way a T14 school would give me that. The one area where it seems like prestige matters the most, however, is for Supreme Court clerkships.
U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009

TXcal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 10:47:59 AM »

I take generic excedrine and it cures my headache just as well as the overpriced real thing.

:D