Law School Discussion

Straight up now, tell me [what my chances are]

Re: Straight up now, tell me [what my chances are]
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2005, 06:47:33 AM »
Damn... I hate to spend more money on all this... but those "what ifs".... lol

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2005, 07:38:41 AM »
In at all the non-T14s.  In at Michigan and Cornell.  WLs or Rs at all the others.  But WLs may become admits for a lot of people in this unusual cycle (applications dropping and USNWR moving to medians), so you never know.  I think you have a good list, btw.

!!

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2005, 07:48:30 AM »
In at all the non-T14s.  In at Michigan and Cornell.  WLs or Rs at all the others.  But WLs may become admits for a lot of people in this unusual cycle (applications dropping and USNWR moving to medians), so you never know.  I think you have a good list, btw.

Thanks for the opinion.  You may have noticed that some people want me to apply to HYS.  Your thoughts?

gute Hauptfaecher

Jawohl!  Ich nehme an, Du studierst Deutsch auch, nö?

!!

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2005, 08:27:31 AM »
Ja, natuerlich. Und Politik.  Wo warst Du im dritten Jahr des Studiums?

Jena, Thüringen.  Hast Du schon mal in Deutschland studiert?

!!

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2005, 08:31:41 AM »
Eigentlich bewerbe ich mich um ein JD/Magister Program, das von Cornell angeboten wird.  Zwei Jahre in Ithaca und zwei in Berlin an einer echten deutschsprachigen Uni.  Du sollst es auch mal erforschen!

!!

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2005, 08:32:35 AM »
Ich war ein Jahr in Berlin, an der Humboldt.

Cool.  Dieses Program, das ich beschreibe, findet an Humboldt statt.

SkullTatt

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2005, 10:17:11 AM »
You may have noticed that some people want me to apply to HYS.  Your thoughts?

Well, you didn't ask me this, but my opinion is, that's pushing it. Your numbers might be acceptable, but I think people who get into HYS need to have some "wow" factor... the stereotypical, worked with the United Nations to found a program to feed Sudanese orphans, or classical violinist who cut three popular albums before deciding to turn to law.

I say this not to be discouraging, but because it seems to be the case, and I think a lot of people throw themselves at HYS and are just wasting their time unless they can really blow the socks off the adcomms there in some way beyond just numbers. If you are going to apply there, at the very least come up with a backstory that will put you head and shoulders above the typical nameless, faceless numbers applicant.

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2005, 11:09:46 AM »
I agree with Bonk.  Applying to H or Y would just be donating money to the school so why bother.  I'm an east coaster and know nothing of S but I assume it's the same.  Good luck; you're definitely T14 bound.

nowayman

• "No way, man." Phrase: to have disbelief.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2005, 11:12:12 AM »
H is mainly numbers from what I've read on the ultra reputable and always reliable internet.

Stanford is less so. 

!!

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2005, 12:14:12 PM »
Well, you didn't ask me this, but my opinion is, that's pushing it. Your numbers might be acceptable, but I think people who get into HYS need to have some "wow" factor... the stereotypical, worked with the United Nations to found a program to feed Sudanese orphans, or classical violinist who cut three popular albums before deciding to turn to law.

Those were my thoughts as well.  That's why I hadn't applied.

I agree with Bonk.  Applying to H or Y would just be donating money to the school so why bother.  I'm an east coaster and know nothing of S but I assume it's the same.  Good luck; you're definitely T14 bound.

Thanks!  And yeah, that was what I initially thought about HYS.