Third Tier Toilets: the New T14?

be10dwn

Re: Third Tier Toilets: the New T14?
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2005, 09:44:39 AM »
I so have no desire to be in biglaw jsia

SkullTatt

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2005, 09:46:41 AM »
I'd almost take this a step further, though, and say that in my area, it would be MORE DIFFICULT to get a job with a degree from Harvard or Yale than it would be from Dickinson or Duquesne.

I could totally see that happening in the South. They have this thing about "Yankees" and they are always talking about it.

I mean, I'm sure you would get a job, but you would have to go through the equivalent of a hazing that lasted about five years.

k180

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2005, 09:52:32 AM »
The OP is suggesting that if you get a nice scholarship to attend a T3/T4 school, then it might be worth considering.

Yeah, thanks, I get the point of the thread.  It's just the title that I was making fun of.  The thread title is tantamount to asking "Single-A Minor League Baseball: the New Major Leagues?"

SkullTatt

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2005, 10:11:14 AM »
My point was that, if you are looking at firms in the market where the TTT is, they may be just as good as a T14 for purposes of getting hired at those firms.

k180

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2005, 10:20:42 AM »
My point was that, if you are looking at firms in the market where the third tier toilet is, they may be just as good as a T14 for purposes of getting hired at those firms.

Again, I was just making fun of the title.  The title does not represent the thread and is, in fact, incomprehensible.

The information in the thread is perfectly legitimate.

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2005, 10:38:22 AM »
My point was that, if you are looking at firms in the market where the third tier toilet is, they may be just as good as a T14 for purposes of getting hired at those firms.

It's pretty much dependent upon the goals in your life....If you are happy working for a mid size firm it probably would nor hurt your career purposes to go to a TTT, especially if you are planning on doing a career in IP (and have a solid Sci/Engr background).  If one wants to optimize their chances at working in BIGLaw and someday going In house or maybe even being a partner, the only choice is to go to a T14.

nowayman

• "No way, man." Phrase: to have disbelief.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2005, 10:42:48 AM »
Eh, I would say the T14 that it is more about options than advancement.

If you are at the top of your class in a highly regarded regional school (University of Houston, for example) you can get into Houston Biglaw. 

It's just that it would be extremely difficult to find a job (even at a small firm) anywhere but Texas for the first 10 or so years.

This isn't a bad thing.  If you know where you want to work and live, a regional school is sometimes a much better choice.

I.E.  UofH would be a better choice for a person set on living in Houston than Duke or Cornell. 

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2005, 01:24:49 PM »
You also have to consider work experience.  I am building up a rather impressive resume that, I'm sure, would look great to any Wall Street firm.  I don't think they'd care if I went to a T14, or not.

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2005, 01:31:03 PM »
as has been said, its all about location.  i know several people from campbell and sc making 6 figures in charlotte.  sure they couldnt go to LA right away but they wouldnt have gone to those schools if they wanted to