Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Applying to your UG's Law School...  (Read 1301 times)

TheGunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • Seems simple enough...
    • View Profile
Applying to your UG's Law School...
« on: November 01, 2005, 09:40:50 PM »
Does it put you a favorable or unfavorable position?  Or does it matter at all?  I think there are two schools of thought here - 1) The school wants to expand its overall alumni base in order to gain more alumni donations, thus putting you at a disadvantage, or 2) The school wants to create uber-loyal graduates who are twice as likely to give, thus giving you a extra boost.
Of course, it may not matter one bit, just as long as you're in the LSAT range.  Thoughts?

vivarin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Applying to your UG's Law School...
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 10:38:08 AM »
Does it put you a favorable or unfavorable position?  Or does it matter at all?  I think there are two schools of thought here - 1) The school wants to expand its overall alumni base in order to gain more alumni donations, thus putting you at a disadvantage, or 2) The school wants to create uber-loyal graduates who are twice as likely to give, thus giving you a extra boost.
Of course, it may not matter one bit, just as long as you're in the LSAT range.  Thoughts?

My opinion, it plays into your favor but barely.  In other words, don't let this factor play into your decision to apply.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 11:45:22 AM »
I agree.

I am at my UG's law school and I doubt it made a difference.

In my acceptance letter there was a little note that "we hope we can keep you here!"

It was nice for me in terms of "soft" factors in that I knew the area, already had a social network, didn't really have to move anywhere, etc.
It's nice being able to get away from the law scene and troll amongst the undergrads (espcially for dating...).

Again, I don't see this being a huge deal breaker for you either way.
Air Force JAG Corps

practiceboy02

• Sr. Citizen
  • Still misbehaving in law school
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 01:34:19 PM »
I've actually heard that it can hurt you at my school... apparently tons of people who graduate from here also apply to law school here and that the law school doesn't really want to fill all their seats with kids from the UG

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 12:15:57 AM »
practiceboy where do you go to school if you dont mind sharing?
HLS '09

practiceboy02

• Sr. Citizen
  • Still misbehaving in law school
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 09:40:11 AM »

An Ivy with a Law School, to which I'm not applying (that really narrows it down...)

LawyersGunnersnMoney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 12:08:40 PM »
from what i can tell it hurts at my school.  they will only take a certain # of undergrad alums, and the pool of alum applicants is so large that the pool's #s are better than the averages.  and most of the alums are instate 

adviseme

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 06:32:39 PM »

I have been told by a number of decision makers that it will help in close calls. 

skaiserbrown

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005, 10:52:02 PM »

An Ivy with a Law School, to which I'm not applying (that really narrows it down...)

so upenn or cornell, sounds like.

what's your feeling on gorges?

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 11:50:51 AM »
I think you need to think long and hard about why you want to go to your UG's law school.  I decided to stay at my IU for law school.  The decision to apply was based on the fact that I enjoyed Bloomington, understood the bureacracy, and I liked what I saw when I visited the law school.  The decision to attend though was made because the law school had significantly more people and oppertunities in the industry I wanted to work in than other schools I applied to (and no, it's not the legal industry).

I would say there are lots of different opinions among adcomms about applicants from the undergraduate school on their university.  I think one of the biggest issues is that there is a great chance of a yield protection waitlist, because an adcomm will look at your application as just applying to the school because you remembered it was there.  I would do all optional essays to prove you really want to go there.

Note: all of this only applies to those applying straight out of UG.  If you've been gone for even a year, it probably won't matter.

But think long and hard about why your are applying to your undergrad.  I think a lot of people each year are trapped in law schools that aren't like their undergrad and become very disappointed.  Also realize that going to your undergrad for law school is dangerous, since you are easily tempted to live and work like an undergrad.  On the other hand, you have an intricate knowledge of a lot of things which create stress among your fellow students.  You also have a built-in support structure outside of the law school which is essential during high stress times.