Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Liberal Hypocrites - New Book - Do As I Say (Not As I Do)  (Read 5929 times)

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: Liberal Hypocrites - New Book - Do As I Say (Not As I Do)
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2005, 07:54:10 PM »
your subtle hypocorisms showing... :D

not even subtle...

and your oil slick showing.

still making up words, eh?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2005, 07:56:06 PM »
What I'd like to know is who do liberals consider to be their leaders? I've heard a lot disowning here. The best way to defeat the argument that liberals are dishonest is to point to some that aren't.

gee, some of us not have time to sit outside houses of "liberals" and see whether they water their lawn--as if this how we tell, anyway.

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2005, 09:43:05 PM »
What I'd like to know is who do liberals consider to be their leaders? I've heard a lot disowning here. The best way to defeat the argument that liberals are dishonest is to point to some that aren't.

gee, some of us not have time to sit outside houses of "liberals" and see whether they water their lawn--as if this how we tell, anyway.

Why don't you just name a liberal you admire? One you believe is a good sample of the liberal ideology?
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

SCgrad

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2005, 04:35:02 AM »

Why don't you just name a liberal you admire? One you believe is a good sample of the liberal ideology?

Not to avoid your question, but I always thought of myself as a liberal partly because I think for myself.

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2005, 03:59:29 PM »
I think the liberals on this board are scared to name a current "great" liberal...

I settle for past...but stick inside the US.

angmill08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2005, 04:34:02 PM »
I consider myself a "social liberal" because I see governmental enforcement of  traditional views on marriage, gender roles & race relations as an assault on personal liberty.

But to the question at hand:

I think Bill Clinton is a good example of the moderate side of liberal ideology. Is it hypocritical for him to say that the gov't shouldn't enforce traditional gender roles and then sleep with his intern? Maybe. But the less self righteous you are about your ideology, the more tolerance folks have for hypocrisy.

Compare Barbara Striesand's opinions on water waste to Rush Limbaugh's on drug abuse. Babs wasn't out there saying that anyone who wastes water should be shown no mercy. She was out there saying people ought to act in an environmentally concious way and adovating reproach or fines for those who don't.

Then -- bam! -- Babs gets caught wasting water. And the enviro liberals do what they always do, and say, tsk tsk, Babs, hit her with some reproach and, if possible, a fine, and we all move on. What's so wrong with that? Should we really be crucifying her for this water waste? I mean, it would be one thing if she was secretly drilling in the Alaskan preserve. But over watering her lawn? I can live with that level of hypocrisy.

Similarly, if Rush Limbaugh was just out there saying he thought drug users should be punished in scale with their crimes, then his oxycotin addiction comes out, no big deal. He gets a fair reproach/fine/punishment and we move on. But he was saying no mercy for drug addicts, right? So the real issue here is not that he says "do what I say, not what I do" (because, at some small point, we all do that) but that he went beyond that and said, "do what I say or there will be no mercy!" Then he gets busted and everyone's glad he finally got his comeuppence.

The more self righteous you are about your ideology, the less tolerance folks have for hypocrisy.
164/3.46 Undergrad GPA, graduated college in 1996.
Applied: UT Austin (ED), Univ. of Houston, George Washington U & American U.
Accepted: Univ. of Houston, GW, American
Attending: GW, Fall 2006

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2005, 06:29:24 PM »
Rush admitted he was wrong...did Barb?

And Clinton? Do you know who was the last Pres. to be impeached? I can't even remember back that far.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2005, 09:45:12 PM »

only if you promise you have their lawn-watering records.

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2005, 09:54:41 PM »

only if you promise you have their lawn-watering records.

Julie I think you're scared..or don't admire any liberals...

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2005, 10:05:58 PM »
yank your own chain.  you just setting up straw man.  let's try this:  why not you define "liberal"?