Law School Discussion

"Are you applying to other schools" question on the application

Some schools ask which schools you're applying to.  They say it's an "optional" question, but does anyone know if they truly mean "optional" or would it hurt me to NOT list the schools?

Re: "Are you applying to other schools" question on the application
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 06:14:54 PM »
I'd like to know the answer to this as well. Why do they even ask this question? To see how likely it would be that you would decide to enroll if admitted?

jdw112

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 06:17:06 PM »
I'd answer it using schools in the same region. Maybe include a few close ranking but "weaker" schools.

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 06:17:47 PM »
I gave this some thought AFTER I sent in my apps, so I can't use my own conclusion to my advantage.

In order to protect you against a yield ding, I think you should only list schools that are LOWER ranked than the school to which you are applying.  You want to make every school think that they are your #1.

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 06:19:02 PM »
ive had some apps were it wasnt even an optional question.  i went ahead and answered it, i did put a couple schools just below it that i may or may not apply to.  

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 06:20:38 PM »
I gave this some thought AFTER I sent in my apps, so I can't use my own conclusion to my advantage.

In order to protect you against a yield ding, I think you should only list schools that are LOWER ranked than the school to which you are applying.  You want to make every school think that they are your #1.

i thought about that, but they have access to where you apply.  rather not have to answer to that someday and theyd know youre lying if your #s are better than their avg and you say theyre #1

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 06:29:46 PM »

i thought about that, but they have access to where you apply.  rather not have to answer to that someday and theyd know youre lying if your #s are better than their avg and you say theyre #1

Other than adcomms talking to one another, I don't think they have this access.  Assuming, that is, that they don't pull it from LSN.

lovelovelovenyc

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 07:56:59 PM »
also, they can't penalize you for changing you mind.  for all they know, you decided to apply to different schools.  they can't assume you were protecting yourself against a yield-protection ding. 

but yeah, i don't think they have that info anyway

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 08:01:34 PM »
yeah, but if youve already applied they would see that date is before the date you submitted there's.  that would be a pretty awkward conversation about you lied on your law school app. 

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 08:25:13 PM »
yeah, but if youve already applied they would see that date is before the date you submitted there's.  that would be a pretty awkward conversation about you lied on your law school app. 

I don't recall dates being on my apps.