Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: congress closed session...smokescreen  (Read 9902 times)

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: congress closed session...smokescreen
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2005, 09:32:56 AM »
what, now not even china communist anymore?  what come next, madison, wis.?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2005, 09:46:47 AM »
hello there, julie's lil' commie!

angmill08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2005, 02:23:54 PM »
Well, last I checked, Vietnam is not communist and communism only scarcely exists in the entire world.  If we were fighting communism in a de facto war with Russia, I guess history would call us the winner.  That is my argument.

Where did you check? The CIA factbook lists them as a communist state. The government also self-identifies as communist. No changes in that. They are opening to economic reforms, but the state still owns and controls most industry.

Although the US considered Vietnam only a part of its larger policy of promoting world wide capitalism, the aim with the troops at that time was specifically to preserve a non-communist government in S. Vietnam. The Vietnamese were not fighting US troops to achieve the world wide supremacy of communism. They were fighting for unification under the north Vietnamese government. They achieved this, which is why they (and most of the international community) feels that they "won". But if it makes you feel better to focus on the fact that the US was successful in our larger economic strategy of worldwide capitalism rather than on the fact that we were not sucessful in preventing communism in S. Vietnam, that's OK with me. You can focus on whatever facts you want, as long as you acknowledge the facts you don't like.
164/3.46 Undergrad GPA, graduated college in 1996.
Applied: UT Austin (ED), Univ. of Houston, George Washington U & American U.
Accepted: Univ. of Houston, GW, American
Attending: GW, Fall 2006

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2005, 04:46:22 PM »
hey, maybe we fighting communism in iraq!

SCgrad

« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2005, 05:17:39 PM »
Well, last I checked, Vietnam is not communist and communism only scarcely exists in the entire world.  If we were fighting communism in a de facto war with Russia, I guess history would call us the winner.  That is my argument.

Where did you check? The CIA factbook lists them as a communist state. The government also self-identifies as communist. No changes in that. They are opening to economic reforms, but the state still owns and controls most industry.

Although the US considered Vietnam only a part of its larger policy of promoting world wide capitalism, the aim with the troops at that time was specifically to preserve a non-communist government in S. Vietnam. The Vietnamese were not fighting US troops to achieve the world wide supremacy of communism. They were fighting for unification under the north Vietnamese government. They achieved this, which is why they (and most of the international community) feels that they "won". But if it makes you feel better to focus on the fact that the US was successful in our larger economic strategy of worldwide capitalism rather than on the fact that we were not sucessful in preventing communism in S. Vietnam, that's OK with me. You can focus on whatever facts you want, as long as you acknowledge the facts you don't like.

I can agree with this

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2005, 07:09:34 PM »
so now you also agree that u.s. lost war?

SCgrad

« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2005, 06:14:44 AM »
so now you also agree that u.s. lost war?

I'll tell you after you read that book...

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2005, 11:38:00 AM »
oh, you mean book entitled never admit you wrong, even when it obvious.  julie will do that one when it on oprah'slist.

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2005, 12:48:20 PM »
oh, you mean book entitled never admit you wrong, even when it obvious.  julie will do that one when it on oprah'slist.

You don't need to read that book, you could write it.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

SCgrad

« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2005, 05:22:31 PM »

Never read it, perhaps you could give me the Reader's Digest version...