Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Resources for Spouse/Significant Other  (Read 1393 times)

UWHusky

• Woof.
    • View Profile
Re: Resources for Spouse/Significant Other
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 04:31:15 PM »
I've been with my spouse for nine years, married for three, and we have a two year old. I finished my bachelors degree recently and did night school, quit my job and went back to school full-time after our daughter was born.  I got very involved with school these last two years (as I am sure we will all be in Law School), taking research jobs, writing articles with a Professor, joining scholar groups, etc. and it took a heavy toll on my relationship with my spouse. 

You know, we did the trade off with the kid at 3:00 and that was the only time we would see each other.  We became co-workers almost..it was weird.  We lost track of and interest in what the other person was doing because we were living two totally separate lives.  It's fine to have your own life, but you have to stay connected.  It got to the point where I wouldn't even talk to him about what projects I was involved in and what I was really interested in at the moment, I would tell someone else, someone more familiar with my world at school.

This time around, I am going to keep DH involved in my schooling; bring him to events and seminars, whatever I'm doing..I know law school will be my life for the next three years.  The only way to stay connected with DH is to bring him into it somehow.

That sounds like it was very rough to maintain two worlds. I appreciate your post. I will do my best to keep my wife involved.
3.85 GPA (4.0)Major. No LSAT yet
Never to old to teach an old dog new tricks

phooey

Re: Resources for Spouse/Significant Other
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 06:55:45 PM »
You're welcome.
I'm cracking up that I was saying "DH".  I'm mixing up my message board lingo...  duh.