Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Edwards For VP!!!!!!!!  (Read 3999 times)

jgruber

Re: Edwards For VP!!!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2004, 01:48:15 PM »

sorry, I thought if you were serious about a candidate you wouldn't refer to him/her as "some off the wall candidate" who you would simply vote for in protest. 

I'm careless about my choice of third party candidates.  I just pick one, because it doesn't matter which small party I vote for since it won't change the result of the election.  I'm in Tennessee where it only takes 25 signatures to get on the presidential ballot, so I get a wide variety. 

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2004, 01:50:21 PM »
Brilliant.
Loyola LA Here I Come!!

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2004, 01:59:25 PM »

sorry, I thought if you were serious about a candidate you wouldn't refer to him/her as "some off the wall candidate" who you would simply vote for in protest. 

I'm careless about my choice of third party candidates.  I just pick one, because it doesn't matter which small party I vote for since it won't change the result of the election.  I'm in Tennessee where it only takes 25 signatures to get on the presidential ballot, so I get a wide variety. 

jeffjoe....

how about you run for prez?

we'll sign the petition on LSD for ya.... ;)

jgruber

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2004, 02:00:10 PM »
I like the benefits, but I dunno....

jeffjoe....

how about you run for prez?

we'll sign the petition on LSD for ya.... ;)

jgruber

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2004, 03:04:50 PM »
Brilliant.
It's better than voting for someone I really don't want just to get rid of someone I want even less.  It leads to mediocrity.

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2004, 03:08:24 PM »
whatever you say.... 
Loyola LA Here I Come!!

thinknpositive

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2004, 03:11:37 PM »
whatever you say.... 

touchy subject?

jgruber

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2004, 03:13:21 PM »

buster

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2004, 03:56:32 PM »
I tend, in general, to your way of thinking Jeffjoe. I suspect it's always been and always will be tough for people who want to cast a meaningful vote based on their conscience rather than their sense of which candidate is less offensive to their principles. To me the real problem is our political system, both in structural and cultural terms -- we need instant run-off voting, some form of proportional representation, publicly financed campaigns, etc.

In the meantime, though, I've sworn off the protest votes. If nothing else, I have some minimal confidence that the typical big-name Democratic candidate has the public interest at least somewhat in mind. I can't say the same about far too many prominent Republicans these days.

It's better than voting for someone I really don't want just to get rid of someone I want even less.  It leads to mediocrity.

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2004, 03:58:13 PM »
I tend, in general, to your way of thinking Jeffjoe. I suspect it's always been and always will be tough for people who want to cast a meaningful vote based on their conscience rather than their sense of which candidate is less offensive to their principles. To me the real problem is our political system, both in structural and cultural terms -- we need instant run-off voting, some form of proportional representation, publicly financed campaigns, etc.

In the meantime, though, I've sworn off the protest votes. If nothing else, I have some minimal confidence that the typical big-name Democratic candidate has the public interest at least somewhat in mind. I can't say the same about far too many prominent Republicans these days.

Nicely stated, buster.   :)
Loyola LA Here I Come!!