Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: silent timer vs a watch  (Read 3503 times)

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
silent timer vs a watch
« on: July 06, 2004, 12:28:02 AM »
Iíve been using my watch when taking my prep tests.

Just wondering:

Is a silent timer necessary [or advantageous?]

thanks  :)

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
Re: silent timer vs a watch
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 12:36:13 AM »
with a timer, you don't have to count the minutes left in your head like you do with a watch, and it's just sitting there for you to glance at quickly.  I'd use a timer, but then again, I'm not a big watch person to begin with.
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

inthesun

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 01:35:14 AM »
Using a timer was easier for me during the test.  However, I forgot to start it in my Logic Games section and it totally threw me off.  I ended up acing the section, so all was okay, but you MUST practice with it if you are going to test with it.

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 01:49:16 AM »
which brand do you guys recommand?

i think powerscore has their own brand of timers [there was a page of shameles self advertisment about it in the LG bible]. ;D

inthesun

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 02:00:17 AM »
Buy a timer from Walgreen's for $4 and disable the alarm.  I know nothing about electronics and was able to easily do it.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 02:10:00 AM »
If you don't have a Walgreen's around you (which I don't), you can also buy one from Target.  The cheapest one is like $6 or $7.  You would need to disable the alarm of this one too.

If you're scared of disabling the alarm yourself, there's one at Radio Shack as well that's like $15, and you can ask the employees there to disable it for you.  This is what TM suggested to its students, but another student told me about the Target one, so I got that.  The reason Target's is cheaper is that Radio Shack's has a number pad where you can punch in the 35 minutes, whereas with the Target one (and I would imagine with the Walgreen's one too, since it's $4), you have to push the minute button 35 times.  BUT, when it reaches 0:00, it automatically resets to 35:00.  So you only have to set the time once.  Another problem I had with the Target one was that I couldn't figure out how to turn it off, so I had to take out the batteries each time because I didn't want them to die during the test.  This meant that every time I put the batteries back in, I had to set the time again.  I think it's worth doing that to save $10 though.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

buster

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 09:15:28 AM »
I used an analog watch and set it to 11:25 between sections (11:30 before writing sample) so that I always had to finish by 12:00.

GOHawks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 01:58:23 PM »
I'm a big fan of the RadioShack brand timers which I've used since my days in debate.  Used a screwdriver and ripped out the speaker.  It's got a big display and 0-9 buttons so you just hit 35:00 instead of pounding the minute button 35 frickin' times

Maryanne007

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.74 LSAT: 176 UG: Harvard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2004, 03:18:36 PM »
all this talk of timers, im gonna run out and buy one!  :)

jd4me

• gpa 3.49/lsat Oct
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 03:54:59 PM »
Me too!  I've been using my Timex digital watch, but there's no way to disable the alarm.  Radio Shack here I come.