Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Gifts for recommenders?  (Read 5304 times)

AFever

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gifts for recommenders?
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2006, 01:49:45 PM »
Eep! I was planning on sending gifts when I receive acceptances or know where I'm going, but it seems like everyone here is doing it much earlier. I hope my professors don't think I'm ungrateful...should I really gift them now, or is it okay to wait?

In terms of gifts, my parents live in Kona, Hawaii, so I was thinking of getting my profs some really good Kona coffee and cookies and such. I figure that they're professors, they couldn't have made it this far without liking coffee.

kingofspain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2006, 09:07:49 PM »
doesn't everyone love coffee?

mobo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2006, 03:41:46 PM »
doesn't everyone love coffee?

you would think so....(hi king! am in el sal!)

i once had to buy a gift for a colleague i didn't know very well for one of those office holiday gift exchanges...i asked around and heard he loved coffee so i went out and got him a beautiful starbucks holiday coffee basket with several kinds of special coffee and blah blah blah. the day comes, and i am the laughingstock of the office when he opened the gift, because apparently he loved coffee, but had an equally well-known (just not to me) reputation for HATING to make it. so i could have saved face and effort (and nice wrapping paper) by getting him a very boring gift card.

The Government

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2006, 08:30:07 PM »
I am considering just purchasing Visa gift cards for my recommenders.  I know it seems unoriginal, but it is less tacky than just giving cash and they can be used practically anywhere (i.e. dinner for two, chocolates, etc.).  This way the rec. can just get something they want/need and I don't have to put too much effort into deciding what they would like.  As far as amount goes, I was looking between $25-50 for each recommender (I only have two so it won't hurt my pocket that bad).  Just an opinion.

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
  • New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2006, 02:24:31 AM »
I am considering just purchasing Visa gift cards for my recommenders.  I know it seems unoriginal, but it is less tacky than just giving cash and they can be used practically anywhere (i.e. dinner for two, chocolates, etc.).  This way the rec. can just get something they want/need and I don't have to put too much effort into deciding what they would like.  As far as amount goes, I was looking between $25-50 for each recommender (I only have two so it won't hurt my pocket that bad).  Just an opinion.

I wouldn't give cash equivalents like checks, money orders, or Visa gift cards...
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Bored? Try the mafia boss. (Warning: addictive!)
http://www.themafiaboss.com/?refer=admiral28
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=yalecol06

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2006, 05:11:57 PM »
great idea horgan, esp. if it's from the big island chocolate company!

sidenote, nice to see another Hawaii local on the board!!! Did you go to hs on the Big Island?  pm me :)
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg