Law School Discussion

Gay Affirmative Action?

!!

• View Profile
Gay Affirmative Action?
« on: October 30, 2005, 07:20:44 PM »
It's pretty commonly thought that being gay doesn't get you a whole lot of "diversity points."  At best, it gives you an essay topic.  However, Cornell and UPenn specifically ask applicants if they're gay.  UPenn actually sends out special fee waivers for gays and lesbians.  So, these schools obviously care.  My question is... how much does it matter to an applicant?  Is this like the preference other minorities get, or is this more for applicants who are otherwise "on the fence"?

Re: Gay Affirmative Action?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 07:25:58 PM »
Well, I can't say for any other school, but, from my aunt who works in IU admissions, they do tend to look favorably at gay applicants because it adds diversity, and Bloomington is known as being a gay-friendly area. The new tourism slogan is "visit gay bloomington" so it makes sense

John Galt

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 07:50:42 PM »
If asians don't get AA then gay people shouldn't either.

I think being gay is a pretty significant boost especially if you're open. To be able to do well academically and/or professionally while dealing with the negative social stigma of being gay shows character and strength

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 08:05:46 PM »
what's to stop someone from lying about being gay if helps your chances?

!!

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 08:08:35 PM »
If asians don't get AA then gay people shouldn't either.

I'm not looking to start a debate.  I'm just looking for people's opionions on what the situation is.  If someone offers me an edge, I'm gonna take it.

However, for an interesting discussion on whether a minority's relative lack of success is a prerequisite for that minority's protection, check out this very interesting (and short) article from the New Yorker.  It's from 1992, yet it still hits the nail on the head.  It specifically addresses to what extent gays are a "minority."

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/scotts/bulgarians/gr-v-br.html

!!

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 08:09:50 PM »

The fact that your state bar will have your law school application on file forever is a pretty good deterrant.

skaiserbrown

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 08:14:10 PM »

The fact that your state bar will have your law school application on file forever is a pretty good deterrant.

and me hitting on you. yum ^_^

wstaffor

• 3.35/174
    • AOL Instant Messenger - WillyRayCyrus06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005, 08:14:47 PM »

Not really. I could just claim I was gay at the time, but decided against it later on. Lesbians do this all the time.

skaiserbrown

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2005, 08:15:26 PM »

Not really. I could just claim I was gay at the time, but decided against it later on. Lesbians do this all the time.

you don't know many gay people that well, do you?

wstaffor

• 3.35/174
    • AOL Instant Messenger - WillyRayCyrus06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2005, 08:18:19 PM »

you don't know many gay people that well, do you?

I actually have quite a few gay friends. Obviously for many people it is a 'being born' thing, but I think for many others it is a shock value thing, especially girls. They'll do the gay thing for a few years and then get over it. So one could self identify as gay, and self indentify as straight a few years later and that wouldn't be totally weird.