Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Washington University in St. Louis WL  (Read 3993 times)

uptowngirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Washington University in St. Louis WL
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2004, 04:12:31 PM »
I don't think they've gone to the wait list yet.  I spoke with someone from admissions recently who said that they are overdeposited for now and if anyone drops out it will probably happen in late July/early August. 

uptowngirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2004, 10:12:22 AM »
Has anyone heard anything recently?  I suspect that those of us wait listed should be hearing any day now if they will even be using the wait list this year.

feelthenoize

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2004, 01:48:03 PM »
As of a week ago they had around a dozen admits who hadn't sent local addresses.  From what I can gather, since they're overcommitted, just about all those people would have to drop out before they go the wait list for the first time.  I don't think it looks very good.

uptowngirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2004, 05:09:37 PM »
I'm not so sure I believe what WUSTL is telling everyone about their wait list.  Check out the early enrollment letters thread under where should I go next year.  Someone got an '04 solicitation from WUSTL based on his recent LSAT score.  He didn't even apply to WUSTL for fall 2004 but they offered him a spot in the entering class this fall because he has a high LSAT score.  They must be desperate to push up their numbers and improve their ranking and figure they can get a few with high scores to attend who are desperate to start school right away.  Anyway, if they offered him a spot only a week or two ago, how could they be overenrolled all this time?  I suspect they've probably offered other people spots in this same manner and have lied to us on the wait list the whole time.  I think the wait list is a cruel way of getting our hopes up.  I remember the tone of the first letter I got was so positive. 

Anyway, I called the admissions office the other day and they said that they will probably offer only one or two spots to people on the wait list and that will be done a day or two before orientation if they go to the wait list at all.  They will probably make offers to people in the area who can get there quickly and the offers will be made to women since women are in the minority in this fall's entering class.  When I asked how many people were still on the wait list, they refused to tell me, so I'm still in limbo and totally at their mercy. 

feelthenoize

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2004, 04:11:03 PM »
Uptown--you may be on to something.  I didn't want to post it, but I have a close friend whose roommate was waitlisted and then (as it was told to me) offered a spot after she (yes, female) made a trip out there in late June or sometime around then.  If my friend's story is true it's clear they're not being quite truthful about the waitlist situation.  I don't really know what to think at this point.

feelthenoize

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2004, 04:15:44 PM »
I just re-read your post; I missed most of the first paragraph the first time.  If that's true about the fall 2004 offer for the high LSAT, I'd be really upset.  That seems simply ridiculous.  I don't see how it's fair to make offers like that when they have a waitlist.

uptowngirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2004, 03:42:41 PM »
I have a feeling it is probably true.  Cardozo in NYC has been giving out lots of those early enrollment offers.  I've heard about more early offers from Cardozo than offers from WUSTL, but there is someone who posted to this board that he got an early enrollment offer from WUSTL.  Plus--your friends' friend already got accepted off the wait list and every time I call WUSTL they say that they are overenrolled and haven't gone to the wait list yet.  Either your friends' friend is lying or WUSTL is lying.

feelthenoize

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2004, 05:00:15 PM »
I assume since you didn't mention it that you didn't get the latest email saying they weren't taking any more students.  I think mine came yesterday (couldn't check my email for a few days), so maybe you're still alive!  Best of luck.

I'm pretty angry right now.... I didn't post this but I paid big bucks to fly out there 1.5 weeks ago and met Dean Bolin in person.  She's a nice lady but I have little doubt she couldn't have given me this info then, which would have saved me a lot of time, money, and anxiety.

uptowngirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2004, 05:10:14 PM »
No, I got the email on Friday too, but some people may still drop out at the very last second.  You never know!  I spent big bucks going out there to visit too.  I'm glad I went though because at least I know that I tried the best I could to get in off the wait list and if I don't get in, I'll be at peace with myself. 

I'm trying to find out if any more people got early enrollment offers from WUSTL.  I want to know for sure if they're as deceitful as I suspect.  I'll keep you posted.

junbug77m

• 160/3.1 BS in BME/EE double major, Master's in BME
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - junbug77m
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2004, 11:49:43 PM »
I haven't received the latest WUSTL email that you guys are talking about.  However, I've given up hope with wash u.  Hopefully I'll do well this year, and will be able to transfer to a better school next yr. 

Remember Dean Bolin said that WUSTL would accept us as transfer students if we are in top 1/3 of the class?  Doesn't this sound too good to be true?  I thought most top 30 schools require the ranking to be top 15% for transfer applicants?  any thoughts?