Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: high gpa and mid-range lsat...  (Read 387 times)

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
high gpa and mid-range lsat...
« on: October 30, 2005, 02:44:17 PM »
so in the process of reading a few other posters, i realize that i am not the only one with a high gpa and decent lsat. i have a 3.96 from a large california public school and a 168, which is good, but pretty much knocks my application out of the range of h/y/s. anyway, what schools are typically gpa whores? i've heard boalt hall is....any other possibilities?

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: high gpa and mid-range lsat...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 03:12:16 PM »
yeah, i have umich, boalt, and chicago as reaches. i guess i was just wondering if these (or other schools that i'm not looking at) would be more impressed by a very strong gpa over a strong lsat.

gertrude

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 03:25:34 PM »
I'm not sure why U Mich would be a reach and not a target- 168 is their median and your gpa is a lot higher than their average. Same with Boalt, though Boalt admission is pretty hard to predict, but I would think coming from CA with a killer gpa and a competitive LSAT would give you quite a leg up. Stanford would be a good HYS reach since they are more willing to look beyond the numbers- Your 168 is in their 25-75 range anyway (166-172) and they seem to like the high GPAs so definitely worth applying.

steve112sms

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - steve112sms
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 03:37:32 PM »
I have almost identical stats, and I was advised to consider Michigan, Penn, Chicago and/or UVa as my "reach" schools.

I also have essentially the same numbers and I don't consider Michigan or Virginia reaches. In fact I'm pretty confident I'll get into at least one of the two of them. Blah blah blah, small sample size, but pretty much every single person with our numbers who applied before Christmas got into both on LSN. Penn seems to get more appliations and be more difficult to get into, but it seems like if you apply early and write the "why Penn" essay it works out a decent amountof the time. I mostly consider Chicago, NYU, and Columbia my reaches, but remain cautiously optimistic that I'll get into one. Hopefully it'll be Chicago as I'll be doing ED there. Also, it seems as much as NYU are LSAT whores they are also GPA whores. A decent amount of high range GPAs/mid-range LSATs seem to get in alongside the normal high LSAT/middle GPAs.

I was also considering giving Stanford a go since I figure we have an outside shot there if we really impress them with soft factors and essays.

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 03:58:19 PM »
that definitely helps...i'm not really interested in nyu or penn, but wouldn't mind umich or uva (or obviously, stanford!). right now though, i'm really interested in duke. as far as i can tell, i'm pretty much at their median lsat and above their median gpa, so we'll see how my applications look.

i'll definitely get everything in to all my schools this week to get that extra edge!