Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Topics for personal statement  (Read 1191 times)

Maryanne007

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.74 LSAT: 176 UG: Harvard
    • View Profile
Topics for personal statement
« on: July 05, 2004, 08:54:58 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have yet to start my personal statement.  I was thinking of talking about my father's case (he was injured at work) and the wonderful lawyer who went out of her way to help our family.  Is that a good idea?  Or should I write more about my experience working in law firms or stuff like that?

Just curious, what types of topics is everyone else writing about?  and for those applying in the fall, when did u start/plan to start writing your essays?

Thanks! 

jgruber

Re: Topics for personal statement
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 09:02:09 PM »
Others have more experience with PS than I do, but I'll suggest you want to include topics that show you are motivated to practice law and that show you are more than capable.

superiorlobe

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 09:06:39 PM »
Both those topics sound boring to me.  Write something unique and insightful instead.

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 09:24:13 PM »
No offense, but those topics are really boring.  You need to strike a balance between creativity and stupidity, and that's a fine line.  A boring statement that's technically excellent will neither hurt nor help you, but an original ps will help you, as long as it's targetted, interesting, and not so out there that the adcom will think you were trying to pull a stunt.  Stunt PS's very rarely work. . .
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.