Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Top law schools comment on multiple LSAT scores...  (Read 2498 times)

inthesun

Top law schools comment on multiple LSAT scores...
« on: July 05, 2004, 08:38:59 PM »
I think a lot of people will find this useful.  I am reading "How to Get Into the Top Law Schools" By Richard Montauk, JD.  Here is some useful info:

"HOW DO YOU (Top Law Schools) INTERPRET MULTIPLE SCORES?

We average LSAT scores if a candidate takes the test more than once.  Don't take the exam unless you have prepared for it; it's meant to be taken once.  Cancel the score if something goes radically wrong during the exam or if you feel that you haven't been at your best.  Kenneth Kleinrock, Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid, NYU.

We ordinarily average LSAT scores; we may overlook the first one if there is a good reason.  Michael Rappoport, Dean of Admissions, UCLA.

We use the average of multiple scores.  There is one exception, however.  If the person took the test before finding out a learning disability, and then took the accommodated test, we would use the second score.  We would also, of course, look at the rest of the file to see if they were accommodated in class.  Edward Tom, Director of Admissions, Boalt Hall (Berkeley).

Most applicants submitting multiple LSAT scores have scores that are only a couple of points apart.  In those cases, I take the average of scores.  The ones that give me a headache are those that are ten or fifteen points apart.  In those cases, I look at the rest of the record to determine which to accept.  Taking the exam a third time would help: If you have two strong scores and a weak one, this would establish the strong scores as the relevant ones.  Robert Stanek, Director for Admissions, George Washington.

Sometimes there is a very wide discrepancy between the scores, in which case the applicant should provide an explanation for the discrepancy.  Kenneth Kleinrock, Assistant Dean for Admissions, NYU.

SHOULD A CANDIDATE TAKE THE LSAT MORE THAN ONCE? 

It is a good idea to retake the LSAT if you feel that you underachieved the first time; this shows that you have done everything you can to present the best possible file.  This is especially worthwhile if you can improve by more than the standard error of measurement (three points).  Don Rebstock, Associate Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid, Northwestern.

Montauk goes on to discuss retaking the exam.  In summation, if your LSAT score isn't that terrible, he thinks that a candidate is best improving their PS  or improving their credentials.  People get into top law schools with upper 150s and lower 160s. 

If you do choose to retest, Montauk suggests not to list any schools to receive the second score until the candidate receives it.  If you score lower, then you put yourself in a worse position than before.