Law School Discussion

Re: Does Name Recognition Matter? If So, To Whom?
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2005, 07:34:19 AM »
Yeah, schools in the Midwest definitely receive fewer apps than they ought to receive based on ranking, simply because people don't want to live there...

Good thing for those of us who do want to go school there - less competition!

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2005, 08:03:49 AM »
I don't claim to know anything about hastings, but I think its pretty obvious why it would be harder to get in there compared to minnesota or wisconsin.

Would you care to elaborate?  I don't see why it is obvious at all, which is why I made this thread.

Becuase nobody wants to move to wisconsin or minnesota. Im sure theyre great schools, but you couldnt pay to go there. lots of people would love to spend 3 years in california.  and if you want to work on either coast, employers are going to value wisconsin/minnesota much less than its true ranking

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2005, 08:04:46 AM »
Becuase nobody wants to move to wisconsin or minnesota. Im sure theyre great schools, but you couldnt pay me to go there. lots of people would love to spend 3 years in california.  and if you want to work on either coast, employers are going to value wisconsin/minnesota much less than its true ranking

HastingsloverSF

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2005, 08:07:39 AM »
Starting Salary Info.

Hastings
http://www.uchastings.edu/?pid=1913

Private practice

Davis Average 86,126

Hastings Average 96,074

http://www.law.washington.edu/Career/Profiles.html

U of Washington

Ave Private 85,000

http://www.law.umn.edu/prospective/placement.html

U of Minnesota

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2005, 05:20:15 PM »

I'm with Vannabunny on this one - it's a shame she'll certainly get into better schools than I will, she's always struck me as a sensible person and a great potential classmate. 

I have been just everywhere in the US, and I just love the Midwest - the people are somewhat nicer, I like having both a defined summer and winter, and I think there are as many good opportunities for lawyers here as elsewhere. If I want to be governor of Indiana, it just maked sense to stay in the Midwest for me.

Vapid Unicorn - we could still end up at the same schools! Good luck to you :)

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2005, 06:29:09 PM »
I don't even think I know where Fordham is :)

nubova

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2005, 03:22:06 PM »
Name recognition matter more than USNews. When thinking about schools in the 15-30 range, where the rankings change every year, you want to think about which schools carry the most weight. A school like ND is always going to have a respectable name and will probably take you farther than a BU. Similarly, a school like WUSTL is going to get you farther than a school like UCONN. But, you also have to think about the market. Fordham is going to place better than WUSTL in NYC, and BC is going to place better in the northeast than GW. Even in their own markets, BC does better than BU although BU is higher ranked; USC does just as well as UCLA although UCLA is higher ranked. So it is all relative.

However, I have to say that the whole thing about national and regional schools is kind of bogus. I find that friends at schools ranked anywher in the top 50 are getting jobs in markets on the complete opposite coast. I have friends at BC with jobs in LA, San Fran, and Chicago, and I have friends at GW with jobs in Texas and Florida. So while these schools dont have the name recognition of a T10 school, it doesnt mean it is not doable.

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2005, 03:10:32 PM »
Name recognition matter more than USNews. When thinking about schools in the 15-30 range, where the rankings change every year, you want to think about which schools carry the most weight. A school like ND is always going to have a respectable name and will probably take you farther than a BU. Similarly, a school like WUSTL is going to get you farther than a school like UCONN. But, you also have to think about the market. Fordham is going to place better than WUSTL in NYC, and BC is going to place better in the northeast than GW. Even in their own markets, BC does better than BU although BU is higher ranked; USC does just as well as UCLA although UCLA is higher ranked. So it is all relative.

However, I have to say that the whole thing about national and regional schools is kind of bogus. I find that friends at schools ranked anywher in the top 50 are getting jobs in markets on the complete opposite coast. I have friends at BC with jobs in LA, San Fran, and Chicago, and I have friends at GW with jobs in Texas and Florida. So while these schools dont have the name recognition of a T10 school, it doesnt mean it is not doable.

I think your latter point is valid -- you just want to do better in your class if possible, and you may have to work a bit harder to find the jobs.

ChlorasepticRelief

• Yeah... you like that don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2005, 08:38:42 AM »
If one day you could see yourself pursuing a career outside of the law, name recognition will matter. A Notre Dame degree might look more impressive to an employer than will an Iowa degree.

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2005, 08:50:04 AM »
Unless you are looking for the job in Iowa