Law School Discussion

a question

a question
« on: July 05, 2004, 05:57:16 PM »
What are my chances of getting into an law school if i didn't do so well in UC?

wstaffor

• 3.35/174
    • AOL Instant Messenger - WillyRayCyrus06
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Low GPA, High LSAT
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 06:01:04 PM »
I'd say with that GPA you would need at least a 170 to have a shot at UGA. Also, the fact that you're leaving (i assume?) your MBA program unfinished definitely won't look good. Not sure what to tell you except work hard on your LSAT and maybe finish the MBA.

ruskiegirl

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 06:33:47 AM »
Law schools may be hesitant to admit someone that dropped out of a post-graduate program because it may indicate a lack of focus.  It may be in your best interest to finish up your MBA and apply to law school afterwards.

grahamers

• Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 08:26:49 AM »
Check my numbers and admits.  You are doing fine.  just nail the LSAT.

superiorlobe

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 08:30:59 AM »
I agree.  Just nail the LSAT and watch the world bow to you.  If you score really high on the LSAT, you might even get into a top-14.  I think there are a couple in that group that will overlook a low GPA if you have an LSAT in the 177+ range.  Also, with a very strong EE background (a degree in EE is nothing compared to years of work experience) you will make a strong candidate for patent law, and schools will recognize that.

__

• Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 08:32:36 AM »
So wait you're saying EE w/ years of work experience is a big plus?  I just wonder how my 3 yrs of w/e will play out.

I agree.  Just nail the LSAT and watch the world bow to you.  If you score really high on the LSAT, you might even get into a top-14.  I think there are a couple in that group that will overlook a low GPA if you have an LSAT in the 177+ range.  Also, with a very strong EE background (a degree in EE is nothing compared to years of work experience) you will make a strong candidate for patent law, and schools will recognize that.

grahamers

• Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 08:47:03 AM »
So wait you're saying EE w/ years of work experience is a big plus?  I just wonder how my 3 yrs of w/e will play out.

W/e is golden when overcoming low numbers.  I am 34 years old with a UGPA of 2.33.  My LSAT and my w/e got me into places like Wake, George Mason and Maryland.  I think 3 years is a great ammount of w/e and patent law will be an attractive notion to the admit offs.

Rowgirl

• 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 10:46:42 AM »
The more work experience you have, the more you can play that "I was immature and now I've grown up and I'll do well" angle, especially with a high LSAT

swifty

• View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 12:44:32 AM »

W/e is golden when overcoming low numbers.  I am 34 years old with a UGPA of 2.33.  My LSAT and my w/e got me into places like Wake, George Mason and Maryland.  I think 3 years is a great ammount of w/e and patent law will be an attractive notion to the admit offs.

That sounds encouraging, but there has to be a limit on age.  Your 34, I am 40 with 12 years of tax and accounting background, and 10 years of self employment.  My GPA is 2.5 (I didn't care about college until finishing up the last 2 years this last December).  At what point is your age a detriment?  34 seems ok, but 40?  Not so sure. 

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2004, 06:35:40 PM »
WE means a lot more in B school than in Law School.  In my experience, law school admissions officers can only read numbers.