Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A word of caution...  (Read 1822 times)

jg049457

A word of caution...
« on: July 05, 2004, 04:14:09 PM »
I'm not saying this has happened, but from personal experience...make sure that you know and trust the people you are sending your essays out to. I would very hesitantly send my PS to someone on a message board whom I did not know. There's no way to tell if they are dishonest and may take it for their own.

In my honors philosophy class this past semester, we had a final thesis. We spent one class meeting switching around papers so that we could offer constructive criticism. One girl missed the class and IMed both me and my roommate asking us for our papers so that she could see if she was on the right track. I didn't email the paper but just gave her an idea of what I was doing. My roommate emailed her entire paper. Imagine her surprise when a week later, they were both brought before the academic disciplinary board. Apparantly the girl submitted my roomate's paper. The teacher noticed immediately that there were two submissions of one paper.

It'll be a lot harder to admissions counselors to identify this, but I wouldn't take the chance. You never know.

I'm not directing this at anyone, but I've seen a lot of activity regarding PS swapping the past few days. Just be careful.

Gummo

Re: A word of caution...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 04:26:32 PM »
Off-topic, but just out of curiosity, what happened after they were found out?

melissamw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 04:27:33 PM »
Good point- thanks for stating that!

jg049457

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 04:36:43 PM »
You're welcome. It'd just be a shame to have that happen to you I would think.

As far as philosophy class went, the copy cat failed the course and had a memo put in her file. My roommate was able to call me in as a witness and she did not delete all of her old messages and things, so she just kind of got a slap on the wrist. But the teacher did drop her paper a just about a whole letter grade. She was supposed to get a B+ on the paper, but wound up with a B- instead. Not too bad considering what could have happened.

superiorlobe

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 05:43:58 PM »

As far as philosophy class went, the copy cat failed the course and had a memo put in her file. My roommate was able to call me in as a witness and she did not delete all of her old messages and things, so she just kind of got a slap on the wrist. But the teacher did drop her paper a just about a whole letter grade. She was supposed to get a B+ on the paper, but wound up with a B- instead. Not too bad considering what could have happened.

A B- after being caught plagiarizing is like getting a $500 fine and 10 hours of community service for committing murder.

Remember when a "C" meant "average" and a "B" meant "above average"?  That was back in the days when an "A" meant "outstanding".  I guess today an A means you did average work while being caught plagiarizing knocks you all the way down to a B-.  Is it even possible to fail a class anymore?

jg049457

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 05:57:31 PM »
Well the thing was that my roommate didn't even know that this was being done. She thought she was helping a classmate out and she had proof (in the form of emails and IM conversations and testimonies from people like myself who were also approached) that this girl said she was only using it to make sure she wasn't missing the point completely. Apparantly the girl had been brought before the probationary board several times in the past for similar offesnes.

If my roomie didn't have any or as much proof as she did have, the teacher made it quite clear that she would have failed the course as well.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 08:38:29 PM »

A B- after being caught plagiarizing is like getting a $500 fine and 10 hours of community service for committing murder.

Remember when a "C" meant "average" and a "B" meant "above average"?  That was back in the days when an "A" meant "outstanding".  I guess today an A means you did average work while being caught plagiarizing knocks you all the way down to a B-.  Is it even possible to fail a class anymore?

Ummmm Yes it is possible to fail a class...want proof?
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..