LSDAS GPA (Semester and Quarter School)

timthegolfguy

• 3.29 / 174
    • View Profile
    • Email
LSDAS GPA (Semester and Quarter School)
« on: July 05, 2004, 11:12:16 AM »
Hello all,

I'm trying to figure out my LSDAS GPA to figure out where I can look at applying. I attended a semester school for about 18 months and I did pretty well, so I think it's great that they're going to factor in those grades. Then I switched to a quarter school due to a change in life circumstance and was forced to begin working full time to support myself. Suffice it to say, I've done okay, but certainly not nearly as well over the last two years. I'm taking summer classes right now, so I don't want to send in a transcript to LSDAS and let them configure it yet (just waiting another few weeks) but I want to get an idea as to where I stand.

I can't find any where on their website where they discuss this particular problem. Let me give you my numbers and my calculations and let me know what you think.

Semester school - 44 Hours, 169 Quality Points

Quarter school - 97 Hours, 305.6 Quality Points

Since "standard" classes at quarter schools are 5 credit hours and at semester schools they are 3, I did a multiplier of 3/5 for my quarter grades to bring them in line with my semester ones. (The other explanation for the 3/5 multiplier is that approx 120 hours are needed to graduate vs. 191 hours at a semester school, which  is roughly in line with this logic.)

My total comes down to:

Hours: 44 + 97*.6 = 102.2
Quality Points: 169 + 305.6*.6 = 352.36

Total being: 102.2/352.36 = 3.45

I know that this is way too much info to probably answer this question, but I wanted to be specific in my question. Does this seem to be the way LSDAS does things, or will they simply add hours and quality points to get a total (474.
6/141 = 3.37)? As you can see, it makes a noticable difference. Also any thoughts on the downward trend in my grades - as I said before I've been working, so I think that that can explain some of it. Thanks in advance.