Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Canadians applying to US schools: any disadvantage?  (Read 1578 times)

Yowzers

Canadians applying to US schools: any disadvantage?
« on: October 26, 2005, 10:38:13 PM »
Are Canadians disadvantaged in any way in applying to T14 American law schools? Everybody I've talked to claims that there are no quotas or favoritism for American citizens, but still I have to wonder...

Also, is rae considered separately from International student status? For example, for someone who belongs to a URM ethnic group but who is Canadian, are they still considered URM or just lopped under "International"?

ehm87

• Sr. Citizen
  • future sleazy politician
    • View Profile
Re: Canadians applying to US schools: any disadvantage?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 08:31:15 PM »
as an ivy leaguer you won't be discriminated against, even if you're from the greatest hockey nation on earth.
Accepted: Harvard, Georgetown, Michigan, Berkeley, Virginia, Stanford, NYU, Penn, Cornell, Yale
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ehm87&x=15

bakacanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 03:38:11 AM »
good question about AA.  i think it only applies to americans which makes sense since the programs are designed to right past wrongs in America.  Also, you know that you have to fund it yourself to go to a top US school so you can't be that needy.  you can always ask the admissions people - but i dont think that  AA will work for you.

the good news, though, is that they don't discriminate against us.  unless you are talking about state schools, which discriminate against everyone from out of state, they are just private companies in it for the bucks. also, little known fact here, they value admitting students from as many different undergraduate institions as possible so you might even be at an advantage.

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 04:49:26 PM »
Also, you know that you have to fund it yourself to go to a top US school so you can't be that needy.   

the good news, though, is that they don't discriminate against us. 

when it comes to loans and financial aid, states and schools differ. for example, if i go to law school here in massachusetts, i could get loans from the state. in new york, i'm told, i couldn't. some schools told me that they give financial aid to international students, while others said they don't. unfortunately i didn't take careful enough notes, or i would post a list.
case '09

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 06:05:42 PM »
AA.  i think it only applies to americans which makes sense since the programs are designed to right past wrongs in America.

Though this might be the real reason, it is not the stated reason. Offically, AA was implemented to ensure that students are exposed to diverse points of view to ensure that their educational experience adequately prepares them to confront the many realities of the real world ... or something like that. If we are to believe this stated reason, we should therefore conclude that anyone who is significantly different from the traditional and most common stock of law school students can significantly contribute to this wonderful communion of spirits and other fuzzy crap.

If we are to believe that this viewpoint thing is the true purpose of AA, than, of course, you're being a dark-skinned francophone gay cowboy from Edmonton should count. Your being named Patel from Toronto might not count as much. 
Penn (2007)

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 04:01:41 AM »
AA.  i think it only applies to americans which makes sense since the programs are designed to right past wrongs in America.

If we are to believe that this viewpoint thing is the true purpose of AA, than, of course, you're being a dark-skinned francophone gay cowboy from Edmonton should count. Your being named Patel from Toronto might not count as much. 

What if I'm 1/5?   :D
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 03:45:02 PM »
I suggest moving to Edmonton, buying a tanning bed, a couple of cows, and learning French ...
Penn (2007)

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 03:57:00 PM »
 :D :D :D

Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

SH

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 12:36:30 AM »
I sure hope not...
unless it is a state school where they already are biased against people outside of the state
Practice LSAT156 (diag), 163, 162, 165, 167, 168, 172, 164 :(

(all within the last week and a half...which is when I decided to take the LSAT)