Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I studying wrong?  (Read 338 times)

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Am I studying wrong?
« on: October 26, 2005, 09:40:38 PM »
I started preparing for the Dec. LSAT a couple weeks ago. I started by reading through the different types of sections and studying up on how to properly complete the questions in each section. Ever since then, I have pretty much just been taking practice tests and seeing what I did wrong on each test during my study time. What I do usually is take times tests, but complete a question or two and then look at the answer sheet and see if I got the questions right or wrong. If they were wrong, I look at the correct answer and try to figure out why I didn't choose it - all while being timed. I usually have no problem completing each section under 35 minutes, so it is not really an issue for me. And I have also been consistently scoring 160 + (which is my goal on the real thing)>

I am scoring very well (for my expectations) so far by this process, but I keep seeing no improvement in the games section. I plan on reading the LGB now and touching up on my theory for how to approach each type of game.

My question is, is the approach that I am doing right now - that is, JUST taking practice tests and while taking the practice tests, checking my answers DURING the test, bad? Is this kind of like 'cheating'? Should I be spending my time reading up theory instead of just taking practice tests? In a sense, these 'practice tests' are more like practice sections for me.

Btw, the reason why I am checking my answers during the test is because I have a pretty short-term memory and considering I am working with real LSAT's (not practice books with explanations), I find it hard remembering the process of how I came up with an answer after completing 4 sections and going back to check my answers.

Halo

Re: Am I studying wrong?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 02:30:37 AM »

My question is, is the approach that I am doing right now - that is, JUST taking practice tests and while taking the practice tests, checking my answers DURING the test, bad?

No, i don't think it's bad. What you need to keep in mind, however, is that you should take at least one preptest under the same restrictions as those of the REAL test.

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 08:54:53 AM »
Nothing wrong with looking the answers up as you do it, but yes -- you should definitely take at least one, preferably several, exams under timed conditions. There's some stamina required, and it's good to know you can go right through.
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

Typhoon Longwang

• Sr. Citizen
  • I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 11:15:27 AM »
I think that looking up the answers is not a good habit to get into for timed tests.  How much of a bad habit it is cannot easily be determined.  My mind responds differently when it has various stimuli instead of the same old repetitive questions.  You might consider alternating between days of timed tests and untimed tests, using your method for the untimed tests but then just piecing together what you think you did wrong for the timed tests.  For me, the biggest struggle for the LSAT, if you're already scoring well, is to keep your thinking straight the whole time; there were so many questions I got wrong in practice that I just had to ask my self, "what the hell were you thinking."  Getting to the place where you just blow highly ambiguous questions is the best place be.

kasper11

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 01:50:14 PM »
The question I have is when you look at the answers, do you understand what you did wrong well enough to not make the same mistake again? You say you are not making any improvement in the games, it may be that you need some strategy help beyond tests. The bible will be a good start, but don't neglect any help you can get on other sections as well.

As for looking at your answers during, I have no problem with that. Just switch up the week before the LSAT so that you are used to doing the sections straight through. If time isn't an issue for you, don't worry about it. You may want to take one timed just to double check, but I think you are correct in focusing on the questions and not the timing if that is where you need the help.
GPA: 2.15 (3.29 after 3 years off and transferring)
LSAT: 175