Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where should I waste my money? NYU or Columbia?  (Read 366 times)

Guerito

• View Profile
Where should I waste my money? NYU or Columbia?
« on: October 26, 2005, 05:43:15 PM »
I know it's a long reach for me at either NYU or Columbia but I figure I might as well send an app to one of them (if I get fee waivers, I'll go ahead and do both).  Anyway, which would be the "better" bet?  My numbers are 2.98/173 plus 8 years WE and minor ECs... does one like WE more than the other?  Is one more likely to ignore undergrad more than the other?  Anything else I'm not thinking of?  Thanks for the input!

sillymelon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Where should I waste my money? NYU or Columbia?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 05:51:40 PM »
Just do both.  ;D

Seriously though, I think they're equally matched.  NYU is better for public law though.

jeb240

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 06:44:02 PM »
Both NYU and Columbia did their fee waivers on the LSAC system long before (apparently) they actually told anyone about the waivers.  And the word on the street is that, for Columbia at least, it's just based on the LSAT score (I actually sent an adcomm at Columbia an email about this but she never responded to verify this information).  SO, if you go ahead and start the app for Columbia or NYU and then act as if you are going to transmit the apps to the schools, it'll bring you to the pay page and you'll see there if they gave you a fee waiver or not.  If there's nothing there, maybe that means you don't get one, maybe it means they haven't done it yet.  But if it is there, I think that answers your question.

EDIT: You don't have to submit when you do this, you can go back and no one ever has to know that you peaked ahead.

RocketBot

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 07:09:27 PM »
Both NYU and Columbia did their fee waivers on the LSAC system long before (apparently) they actually told anyone about the waivers.  And the word on the street is that, for Columbia at least, it's just based on the LSAT score (I actually sent an adcomm at Columbia an email about this but she never responded to verify this information).  SO, if you go ahead and start the app for Columbia or NYU and then act as if you are going to transmit the apps to the schools, it'll bring you to the pay page and you'll see there if they gave you a fee waiver or not.  If there's nothing there, maybe that means you don't get one, maybe it means they haven't done it yet.  But if it is there, I think that answers your question.

Agreed re: Columbia.  Based on their letter it seemed pretty clear that it was LSAT-based.

viridianx

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - viridianx
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 08:32:03 PM »
I would def. apply to both.  You're a huge splitter, but you never know.  I don't know what your financial situation is, but if you can afford it, I'd say do it.  If you can't, contact the schools and request a fee waiver (although, I don't think NYU gives out need based fee waivers if you don't have the lsac waiver).
Attending: UPENN!!!

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 08:34:59 PM »
I have to say do both. No regrets. Balls out!!
www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace