Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: applying to law schools next winter . . . any suggestions?  (Read 7942 times)

ec05

• View Profile
applying to law schools next winter . . . any suggestions?
« on: July 05, 2004, 04:04:41 AM »
Hi!  I just wanted to know what all of you think my chances might be of getting into my top choice law schools.  I have a 3.05 from an Ivy League school and will recieve a BA in Economics next spring.  My GPA probably could have been higher but I also participated in a top 5 division I varsity sport that required quite a commitment of time. I haven't officially taken the LSAT yet but plan to take it twice in the fall.  My practice LSAT was a 162 but I plan on taking a class before the next one to boast my scores.
My top choices now are BC, BU, George Washington, Notre Dame, Georgetown, George Mason, Cal-Davis, North Carolina, and Univ of Pittsburgh.  I would really like to end up working in either DC, San Fransisco, or Boston.
What do you think my chances of getting into these schools are? Are they within my reach? Thanks for your help!

bostonChristina

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: applying to law schools next winter . . . any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 11:49:44 AM »
Those are def all within your reach
I would say crank out a 170 on the LSAT and you are practically guaranteed admission to any school

superiorlobe

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 12:07:12 PM »
Those are def all within your reach
I would say crank out a 170 on the LSAT and you are practically guaranteed admission to any school

Well, the GPA is a bit low, and 170 is at the bottom end for a top-5 school.  Yale rejects dozens of applicants with 4.0 Ivy League GPAs and LSATs of 175+.

You need a 175+ to even have a shot at a top-5 school given your low GPA.

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 01:18:58 PM »
3.05 is very low for an ivy, where grade inflation is rampant (i work and take classes at one, so i know), but the varsity sport will help offset that because they know it's a huge time constraint. you should focus on getting around/over 170 on the lsat and you'll have a very good chance for some of those schools. unc is almost impossible if you're out of state, as 75% of the seats are reserved for in-state students, and they weight gpa more heavily. pittsburgh and george mason should be easy to get into if you do well on the lsat. bc/bu will be a crapshoot if you're over about 167, and gw is probably a stretch.

of course, if you're black or hispanic, all of this advice is moot. score over 162 and you'll be a shoe-in at nearly all of those school as a URM.