Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How to ask for a recommendation  (Read 1698 times)

CaliToD.C.

How to ask for a recommendation
« on: July 05, 2004, 01:18:11 AM »
I am unsure how to approach a professor and ask him for a LOR. I really want a rec from him because he is a distinguished professor and is an alumni at one of my top choice schools. The problem is I have absolultley no relationship with him. I rarely participate in class and never visted his office. I took one of his classes last year and Im enrolled in a summer course now which ends in a week.

I would really appreciate if you guys have any suggestions.
Thanx

Lipper316

Re: How to ask for a recommendation
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 01:32:23 AM »
I was in the same boat as you. What I did was call and leave a message on his voicemail. Be sure to include the grade you got (hopefully an A). If in a couple days you dont hear from him, go see him during his office hours. Bring a resume, anything important that you would want him to include in his statement. This will show him you are serious, and by being prepared, you can have a small chat with him right then and there.

It worked for me! Good Luck!

CaliToD.C.

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 01:34:04 AM »
Thats a really good suggestion I think I will leave a message on his voicemail. Do you thing e-mail is too impersonal?

taterstol

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 1L
    • AOL Instant Messenger - CoolDorky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 02:24:24 PM »
Just a thought... i think it's far more effective to have an absolutely glowing recommendation from someone that isn't as well known, than one that comes off as impersonal.

When i asked my recommenders, I asked specifically (and bluntly) if they could write me an outstanding letter. I told them that if they couldn't, that I needed to know so I could find another option. It might sting a little if someone says no, but that's better than having a sub-par letter written.

Lipper316

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 03:48:28 PM »
The thing with email is yu dont know how often they ceck their email. I know some profs that check it 5 times a day, while others check it once a week, or even every couple of weeks. I didn't know how often this prof. checked it, although I was sure they checked their voicemail.

matt39754

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 05:46:48 PM »
I'm currently doing some physics research at a university, and take an ethics/preparation class for grad school... and this question came up.  We were told to ALWAYS approach the professor in person if possible.  secondly, if they are a professor you are skeptical about, use this approach.  Walk up to them, look them straight in the eyes and ask them "I'm applying to these law schools____ would you be willing to write me a GOOD letter of recomendation?"  watch very closely to their reaction... if they hesitate at all MOVE ON!!!!   secondly, just a word of advice.  If they ask for 3 lor , do 5.  You never know when a professor will forget (they are lazy just like us) or submit past the deadline.  Even if all 5 make it - having 5 lor wont hurt you... however only 2 when they asked for 3 DEFINETLY will. 
-matt