Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas Tech Fall 2006  (Read 96249 times)

texaschic

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - faithdavis09
    • View Profile
Re: Texas Tech Fall 2006
« Reply #1840 on: June 09, 2006, 06:03:49 PM »
I am hyped for some Red Raider football. Now that Aggy can't hang with the big boys Texas and OU, Tech finally has a real rival.

please....Tech will never be considered in the same ranks as UT, OU, and A&M...no matter how bad A&M sucks and how good Tech is.  A&M will always be mentioned before Tech, don't ask me why, thats just the way of Big 12 South football.  Tech has a "little man" complex because of this.

Ouch!  Hold on Suz...I think you're about to git it.

EDIT: looks like Krud added a few words before this!

SuzyQ06

• Sr. Citizen
  • I spy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: June 09, 2006, 07:46:40 PM »
Krud, I find very little to argue with in that post...unfortunately. 

Aggy, which was once a proud program, is now duking it out for the Alamo Bowl with the likes of Sand Aggy and Colorado, and even KU, Iowa State and Okie State.
*sigh*  So true...and so sad...

Aggy sports "Cut 'Em Off" stickers, featuring a Sand Aggy gun with its thumb cut off
I've never seen this...intriguing.

-- because it is a battle that determines who is merely mediocre
Ouch!  The cold hard truth hurts...

:-\

What is the state of college football in Texas coming to?  Sadly, I don't see a glorious new dawn in Aggie football...there will be bright spots, I hope, but our hire for DC doesn't give me much to hope for.

GUsigma307

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - J2thauL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: June 09, 2006, 10:18:09 PM »
Big-time college football is quite an experience, even when you're watching a cupcake like SMU. I'd venture that Tech's fans are among the rowdiest in the Big 12, if not the rowdiest. Night games at Jones-SBC are awesome -- the undergrads are stumbling drunk, the alums aren't quite stumbling, and the stands are right on the field.

Oh, how I pine for the crisp autumn air and foggy nights under the full moon...is it football season yet?

I've been to some Pitt games because I had some friends that played for Pitt... I've never seen so many beligerent people in one place in my entire life
1L at Texas Tech and ALMOST DONE with the first semester!

kruddler

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lubbock.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1843 on: June 09, 2006, 10:54:52 PM »
I've been to some Pitt games because I had some friends that played for Pitt... I've never seen so many beligerent people in one place in my entire life

Heh...

I was visiting Tech to support my team about 5, 6 years ago, and as we were walking to the stadium, these girls in a car started yelling at us and making crude gestures. One of my friends walked over there, turned around, dropped his drawers and pressed his rear end onto their window.

The girls were speechless, no doubt impressed by his ability to produce such a lifelike portrait of their faces in such a short time.
GPA: Ha! LSAT: Meh
Attending Texas Tech fall '06

msrickie

• View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: June 09, 2006, 11:13:06 PM »
Yeah so I just now got on here--I'm on our facebk group so hi to everyone.  Can't wait to start in August and meet my fellow 1Ls. 

I finally decided to join so I could comment on the whole TTU football fanbase!  Everyone in or from Lbk already knows, but I'd definitely be prepared for some of the crudest, creative expletives you've ever heard.  But it makes for a really enriching college football game  :D 

Btw, is anyone else really chomping at the bits to get their section number and schedule?  I somehow managed to go through 4 years w/only one 8am class...am still trying to process that that's more than likely going to come to an end... :-\
Texan by birth...Red Raider by the grace of God!

mek17

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your guns up!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - markk0120
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1845 on: June 10, 2006, 01:06:36 AM »
OK... now, I am no Pollyana, but "Waco High" has turned their program around -- I'm sure Suzy will attest to that. Sure, we were 5-6 last year, but that is an accomplishment for Baylor. I fully expect a winning record this year. So if we are going to agree that A&M has dropped a tier, then we have to agree that Baylor has stepped up a little. Not a lot -- but a little.

Now, regarding the state of college football in Texas: UT winning the national championship is nothing but good for the state. While we may hate UT till our dying day, it is great for the state that Texas boys brought home the trophy. However, what is most disturbing to me is the blatant bandwagoning which occurred in early January of this year. If A&M wants to maintain their "rivalry" with UT, which, as Kruddler indicated, is non-existent in anyone's eyes except for Aggies', then Aggies cannot go around wearing t-shirts stating "one day only -- gig 'em Horns" with a picture of the longhorn logo with the horns "bandaided" back on. That kind of stuff causes one (me) to lose any respect for A&M's supposed rivalry with and hatred for UT. (Along the same lines, I attended a Rose Bowl party in Oklahoma City -- I was there for work. I was the only non-OU grad in the room, and was the ONLY person in the room cheering on USC. Their bandwagoning for UT was shameless as well.)

So, I would argue that UT has stepped well ahead of the rest of Texas football, A&M has dropped a tier, and Baylor is at least making a move. Tech, in my opinion, has been getting  more and more notice at the regional and national levels the last few years with its high-scoring offense, and I believe can become a dominant player in the Big XII, and in Texas. They just have to get it together against the other major players -- UT, OU, etc. I disagree with the notion that Tech will never rise above A&M, and I believe they are well on their way to doing so.

Having attending games at Waco, Austin, College Station, and Lubbock over the past few years, I personally think Jones-SBC is the best place to see a college game. Granted, that is coming from a non-Aggie, so the guys-in-white making various hand signals and whooping sounds do not do anything for me -- but I urge everyone to go out for the Tech games. Its going to be a blast! Except when Baylor comes to Lubbock this fall... I'm a little worried about that (as a Baylor fan)...
3.4 GPA/161 LSAT
Accepted: Texas Tech (ED)

ep

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1846 on: June 10, 2006, 01:20:03 AM »
Wow, I have a lot of ground to cover...

1. I agree with Dibs statistical assessment (we're in the same class). He wasn't calling anyone "fat", just objectively relaying the numbers on food talk. (Esp. fast food). I agree Kruddler, Panchoís isnít fit for canine consumption.
2. I can't wait for some Tech football. I've never had a college team to cheer for, so I cheered on Texas and Navy by default in front of a TV set far, far away from any real live game. I will embrace glorious Texas Tech football: the rivalries, the fight for mediocrity, the tailgating, the profanities, et al.
3. Rickie: I'm a little anxious too. Sections are very important. We will all but live with our section-mates the first year. From what I understand, you can bet on some 8am classes, assigned seating, and classes on Friday. Classes will meet on M T TH F, and Wends is an "off" day (although, the 2L's tell me that it is a rare occasion that you actually take that day off from school). We will have 3 sections, and the admissions office expects around 240 1L's this year (as of Thursday ). So, 80 a section...

mek17

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your guns up!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - markk0120
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1847 on: June 10, 2006, 02:10:59 AM »
ep -- I'm just curious where you got the 240 incoming 1Ls number. We had been hearing it was limited to 200 this year...
3.4 GPA/161 LSAT
Accepted: Texas Tech (ED)

GUsigma307

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - J2thauL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: June 10, 2006, 11:33:45 AM »
Wow, I have a lot of ground to cover...

1. I agree with Dibs statistical assessment (we're in the same class). He wasn't calling anyone "fat", just objectively relaying the numbers on food talk. (Esp. fast food).

It's cool.. I was just kidding...

Rickie, I cannot wait to hear what section I'm in. I talked to someone in admissions a few months ago and she told me that everyone will have classes at the same time, but each section will have different classes..
1L at Texas Tech and ALMOST DONE with the first semester!

texas1

• Sr. Citizen
  • where is the library?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: June 10, 2006, 12:31:18 PM »
last year classes weren't at the same time (ie - section 1 had a class at 8am MTTRF and no other section had an 8am class during fall semester - i think)...

Plus your LP class will be a subsection of your section - we had about 20 people per class...and they all met at different times...

sections should be released any day now - I had purchased almost all of my book in early july...