Law School Discussion

Texas Tech Fall 2006

sarmstrong806

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2006
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2005, 03:20:44 PM »
If you get into the lawschool you are in at the business school. I have a friend that graduated with a JD/MBA and I know at least 5 or 6 current MBA students. I was planning on working during the summers.

You have plenty of time, up through the first semester even, to apply. The only reason I might apply sooner it to start MBA classes this spring, if they will let me.

mek17

• Get your guns up!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - markk0120
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2005, 03:26:48 PM »
That would make sense since you are already out there and could get some of the classes out of the way. Good to know about "if you are into the law school, you are into the b school".

So your friend that has the JD/MBA -- is s/he glad s/he did it? Have s/he found it useful to have both? At this point, I think it would "look good" to have both, but am not sure if practically, both are needed.

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2005, 03:31:37 PM »
OK... since we are all waiting to hear back at this point, and that may take a few weeks, I'll pose another question. Is anyone else considering a joint degree program? I'm looking at the JD/MBA, but have not decided for sure, and did not indicate this on the law school app.

Just looking for others thoughts...

I'm not doing a joint, just because I want to work in the summers and be able to completely devote myself to school.  I've been in finance for 4 yrs, so I probably could do it....I just don't want to make the effort.  I can see where it might be more beneficial for jobs right after school, but if you're in the top 10% of the class, I wouldn't think it would matter that much.  I'm not an expert, though, so this is all just my humble opinion!  :)

mek17

• Get your guns up!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2005, 03:40:39 PM »

I'm not doing a joint, just because I want to work in the summers and be able to completely devote myself to school.  I've been in finance for 4 yrs, so I probably could do it....I just don't want to make the effort.  I can see where it might be more beneficial for jobs right after school, but if you're in the top 10% of the class, I wouldn't think it would matter that much.  I'm not an expert, though, so this is all just my humble opinion!  :)

I think you are probably right about top 10% not having any issues getting a job, and that a joint degree might put you ahead of some other candidates otherwise. I'm not as motivated to get the JD/MBA by what it does for my job prospects as I am by the fact that it seems economic to go ahead and get it; in that some hours could count toward both degrees, thus getting something for fewer hours than would normally be possible. If I read the website right, it's only 22 extra hours to get the MBA -- kind of seems like it would be worth 22 hours.

Now, it may help job prospects, but it may also help to pigeon-hole you into a specific field -- and if that is the case, I may not want to do it. That's one reason I'm seeking others' opinions on it. The other negative to it that I see is you are using some law electives on MBA courses, which restricts the amount of knowledge you gain on law. Does anyone else see that as a detriment? Or do you think we will get our fill of law, and would welcome the chance to take some varied courses?

sarmstrong806

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2005, 07:05:06 PM »
I really don't think it will do anything in terms of law jobs, I'm just doing it because I can, and I want to be done with school for good. If I wasn't going to law school it's what I would be doing so I thought I'd do both. 4 more years of school is the max for me though  ;)

SuzyQ06

• I spy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2005, 07:47:06 PM »
No, I am not considering a joint degree...for a while I did think about getting a JD/MPA. 

On a funny note:  What is your favorite question on the application?  Mine is #7 "Have you ever been denied admission to law school?" Nope! (so please don't be the first ding!)  :D :D  It makes me laugh every time...its such an encouraging thought!  We're batting 100% right now!

mek17

• Get your guns up!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2005, 08:56:35 AM »
I guess the one that got me was the checkbox under #14 for "Were you raised in a rural, isolated environment?" Would that help you or hurt you?

Steve Butabi

• and I was like "EMILIOOOO!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2005, 11:11:47 AM »
how can you apply ED to 4 or 5 schools? I'm confused. You know that's binding, right?

sarmstrong806

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2005, 11:53:14 AM »
It's not binding if they don't let you in.

sck

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2005, 11:59:50 AM »
Some schools have non-binding ED, as well. There's some terminology overlap.