Law School Discussion

Texas Tech Fall 2006

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2006
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 10:41:57 AM »
Tech is actually my first and only choice -- for personal/family reasons.  I grew up in Lubbock (did not go to UG there), and have been working in Dallas for 4 years in finance/securities.  I know Tech's median LSAT is 154 but I was pretty disappointed when I got my score in the mid 150's.  Can y'all tell me if I have a stong or moderate change of getting in?  I think I'm just paranoid, but I keep thinking...."they still might not take that score".  I did ED and I think it will help, as their admissions is rolling.  I've never heard any advice against it.  Should I be worried?  My GPA was only 3.38, but I went to a really good private school up North.  Also, I think you asked about when others sent their apps -- I sent mine in September and my file should be complete once they get my score.  I'm hoping for a November decision.

mek17

• Get your guns up!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - markk0120
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2005, 12:10:55 PM »
Suzy - Thanks for the info on the "not going ED" stuff. Its kind of too late now anyway, and I really do like the early notification aspect of it. On the PS, I really have no idea if it matters if you check boxes or not. My gut feeling would be that it doesn't matter much, especially if you have a strong PS already. I used their checkboxes that applied as a loose guideline of things to include, but I don't think it is necessary by any means.

Texaschic - using the calculator at http://www.chiashu.com/lsat.html, your chances of getting into TTU based on your LSAT/GPA are 68%. That sounds pretty good to me. Your GPA is closer to their 25%ile, but your LSAT is right in the middle. I'd say you have a good shot. Be sure to let us know when you hear back from them!

SuzyQ06

• I spy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 12:38:29 PM »
We should start a Tech support group somewhere  ;) ...Its my target school and I am really hoping I get in. 

I hear they are GPA heavy so I am really hoping thats true. 

mek17

• Get your guns up!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 12:58:35 PM »
This thread can be the support group, unless you have other ideas...

I understand they are GPA heavy also. In my many hours of scouring the net on this topic, I found a calculation where someone had taken into account all the law schools' index formulas (available through LSAC), and worked out what percentage of importance they placed on GPA. (http://www.uiowa.edu/~030116/prelaw/lawschools.htm) Even though Tech, at 19.37%, is higher than some, it is not as high as we might expect.

However, that just pertains to this guy's formula based on index numbers, and is not necessarily indicative of the admission committee's philosphy. Chiashu shows your probability at 92%, which indicates a high importance placed on GPA. (I state this relative to my probability of 95% -- my LSAT is at 161, but my GPA is only .25 lower than your's. I ran another test at 156/3.4, and got a 77% chance -- so 15% difference in .25 GPA difference. Then I ran a test at 161/3.65 and got a 98.6% chance -- only a 6.6% difference in 5 LSAT points difference). Don't know if any of that helps or not, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Glad you are targeting Tech. I think it is the best value in terms of education/dollars in Texas, and is a rising program whose degrees will only rise in value, at least among Texas firms. Hope to see you there!

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2005, 01:38:00 PM »
Thanks, Mek.  I've never seen that website before.  I thought I was bummed about my lsat, but now I'm bummed about my GPA!   :)  I feel like a loser being close to Tech's 25%....yuck.  If I'd known I was going to apply to law school in college, I would of studied a lot hard, but I didn't decide until this past June.  (I'm a bit of a late bloomer!).  My perspective is that if God wants me there, He will get me there.  I hope to see both you and Suzy @ orientation next Aug!

mek17

• Get your guns up!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2005, 01:46:03 PM »
Hey, I'm in about the same boat -- 3.4 GPA, didn't decide to do law school until recently, 26, live in Dallas, etc. A friend that just graduated from TTU Law said the avg. age is like 27, so I wouldn't say we are late bloomers -- rather we are just right!

You are from Lubbock so you already know it is not the terrible place that a lot of people make it out to be. My wife went to TTU undergrad while we were dating, so I spent a lot of time out there (and a lot of time on the road between Waco and Lubbock..), and we have always enjoyed it there. We go a couple of times a year to visit friends -- the weather is so much better than in D/FW. I'm actually looking forward to living there (assuming I get accepted).

Anyway, I'd say you have better than avg. chances at Tech. Be sure to let us know when you hear anything -- I'm anxious to hear first hand how the process works, timing, etc.

sarmstrong806

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2005, 02:31:53 PM »
We should defintely keep this thread open and update each other on our progress.

Hopefully it will turn into an accepted students discussion.

I'm still trying to graduate so I better get back to what I was working on.  :D

mek17

• Get your guns up!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2005, 02:57:44 PM »
OK... since we are all waiting to hear back at this point, and that may take a few weeks, I'll pose another question. Is anyone else considering a joint degree program? I'm looking at the JD/MBA, but have not decided for sure, and did not indicate this on the law school app.

Just looking for others thoughts...

sarmstrong806

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2005, 03:00:30 PM »
I am going to do a JD/MBA. As a Finance undergrad I know alot of the professors, and I don't think it should be very difficult, only one extra year. I might as well do it while im in school mode.

mek17

• Get your guns up!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2005, 03:05:13 PM »
Interesting... do you know anyone who has done it? Or who has done an MBA at Tech? It looks like you can do some summer school and get both degrees in as little as 3 or 3.5 years. Are you planning on going this condensed route, or working summers and taking 4 years?

Have you applied to the graduate school also? I just applied to the Law School, since the first year is all law, and you can add the joint degree as late as 2nd semester of 2nd year of law school.

I'm not 100% on it yet -- focusing on getting into the law school first -- but its a possibility I'm exploring.