Texas Tech Fall 2006

mek17

• Get your guns up!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - markk0120
    • View Profile
    • Email
Texas Tech Fall 2006
« on: October 25, 2005, 03:29:26 PM »
Anyone else out there applied early decision at Texas Tech? I sent my app in last week, and LORs are coming in this week. Just trying to get an idea of what kind of timing I can expect.

Any details you can provide as far as when you sent your app, when your file was complete, when you receive a decision notice (are they sending these yet?), LSAT/GPA, etc. would be appreciated.

After looking into several schools in state and out, Tech is my first choice, and the only school at which I have applied. I feel like I have a good shot based on my numbers (161/3.4), but am interested in others opinions/thoughts on tech, my chances, etc.

Mark

sarmstrong806

Re: Texas Tech Fall 2006
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 10:20:02 PM »
I did. Crossing my fingers.

It doesn't look like you have anything to worry about. You should get offered quite a bit of money. Hopefully I will see you there.

I talked to them a few days ago and if your app is complete they are looking at it right now. Literally I called to change mine to ED and she ran into the conference room and put a post-it on my file while I was on the phone.

SuzyQ06

• I spy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 01:06:27 AM »
I'm applying to Tech also, not ED though.  I plan on submitting it ASAP anyways.

Why did y'all apply ED?  I was told not to.  Just curious.

One more question, on the application, right below the Personal Statement part where it lists the variety of things you can talk about in your PS...did yall check anything?  I didn't and I was wondering if Tech preferred to have PSs on those topics.  I don't want to screw anything up with Tech since they are my target school.

My numbers are 156/3.65, in-state

mek17

• Get your guns up!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 08:10:04 AM »
Strong - I like your prediction that I should be offered "quite a bit of money". Just based on my LSAT/GPA? Do you have some inside info on their scholarship cut offs or something? I saw your profile on LSN also -- let me know when you hear something. It is good to know they are looking at them as they come in, and not stockpiling or something. Mine should be complete as soon as they get the LSDAS report.

Suzy - I appplied ED because I am pretty "settled" in Dallas right now - married for 5 years, just had a baby, own a house, etc. I wanted to have a decision asap so I could have time to sell the house and make all the necessary arrangements. Basically, I can't just up and move to Lubbock in a month if I needed to.

I'm curious though -- what reasons were you given as to why you shouldn't apply ED? I didn't think it would hurt my chances any, but I get the feeling you might disagree? I'm interested in any info you have.

As for the personal statement question (#14) on the app, I did not check every box -- only 2 or 3 I think. I did make sure to address those areas in my personal statement, as well as some basic personal background, professional experience, community involvement, and the requisite 'why I want to go to law school' stuff...

sck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 08:12:20 AM »
Tech will likely be on my list of schools when I apply next year. I'm pretty settled in Texas, myself (albeit Houston), and would rather stay. Plus, the SO's a teacher, and his job is portable, but it'd be easier within the state!

chrisfield

• Texas Tech ---> Fall 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 08:16:20 AM »
Do you guys think Tech is poised to break into the Top 100 this year?  Their numbers aren't bad.  I wonder what it is that keeps them out of the 100.

sck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 08:26:24 AM »
They're a more regional school, and at least my impression of the undergrad is that they're not as highly sought-after as others. They're also a newer school.

They place well in Texas, though. It's just that I don't think that regional schools tend to rank highly on the US News ratings, because people just don't know them.

I admit I'm not overly enthused at the idea of Lubbock, but if I could get some good money...

mek17

• Get your guns up!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 08:28:31 AM »
chrisfield - Don't know... I've wondered this as well, but doubt it would happen 06. Maybe 07 or 08. The reason I heard that they are lower is they lost their dean a few years ago and actually went a year without one or something. May or may not be correct.

I think TTU Law is really on the rise though. Lubbock may be a drawback, but I don't know how much that factors into the USNews rankings. Personally, I like Lubbock and think it is a great place to live.

sarmstrong806

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 08:54:52 AM »
Strong - I like your prediction that I should be offered "quite a bit of money". Just based on my LSAT/GPA? Do you have some inside info on their scholarship cut offs or something? I saw your profile on LSN also -- let me know when you hear something. It is good to know they are looking at them as they come in, and not stockpiling or something. Mine should be complete as soon as they get the LSDAS report.

No, I don't have any inside info, but thats a LSAT they will want. I could be wrong, I don't know anything about the rest of your app, but based on numbers you should get something.

SuzyQ06

• I spy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 10:28:46 AM »
mek17 - I have no hard and fast reasons, just my advisor telling me and a huge group of students not to.  I think its a great deal if that is #1 on your list.  It seems like you have a good chance at SMU though, just by the numbers.  I think you have a great shot at money too.  Best of luck and maybe we will be classmates!

On the PS question - Do you think it will hurt me if I don't check any of the boxes.  I am very happy with my PS as it is now and I don't particularly want to change it.  None of those criteria fit in nicely with my topic and frankly, I am tired of these applications already.  :-\  Thats bad, I know, but will the adcomm look badly on my PS if I don't write about one of those?