Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How much reaching to do with these scores?  (Read 2104 times)

dta

Re: How much reaching to do with these scores?
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2004, 12:30:07 AM »
BTW, i wasn't presenting my own personal opinion about pre-law studies like mock trial. I have no personal opinion on them - don't know anything about them at all. That's just the impression i got from reading various admin quotes in various books.

Negotiator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2004, 05:37:46 PM »
For those who don't know, Mock Trial is not really a "class" per se. It is an extracurricular activity, although the dean has given some of us 1 hour of credit since it takes up a lot of time. I just fail to see the connection of how it could hurt, when every school I am applying to has an undergrad mock trial team. Wouldn't these schools be doing something about it if that was the case? I have been asking around, and one board member of the American Mock Trial Association said he has known many former students get into schools where their numbers alone would have kept them out. Of course, this is what you would expect to hear, but I don't think he would lie about it (since he also said he would like to know what schools "punish" applicants for the experience).

dta

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2004, 06:03:05 PM »
Get involved in activities you genuinely care about, not those you think you should because they're typical "pre-law" activities.
-Megan Barnett, Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid, Yale

"Professional joiners" are a turn-off.
-Elizabeth Rosselot, Director of Admissions, Boston College

There are lots more quotes like these, can't hunt them all down right now. And, in general, you can find lots of quotes from admissions deans that generally disparage the value of anything law related before coming to law school. For example:

I prefer to see business related experience rather than work in a law firm. In consulting and investment banking, for example, the demands on the person are great whereas the responsibilities in a law firm tend to be less challenging. Thus, the former carries more weight.
-Don Rebstock, Associate Dean of Admissions, Northwestern

These are just a couple. There's lots more like it. And, you've got to remember. This is just what they're willing to say *publicly*. You've got to assume in private (i.e. in closed doors at admissions time) they are even more critical of pre-law activities.

Negotiator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2004, 06:20:59 PM »
Get involved in activities you genuinely care about, not those you think you should because they're typical "pre-law" activities.
-Megan Barnett, Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid, Yale

"Professional joiners" are a turn-off.
-Elizabeth Rosselot, Director of Admissions, Boston College

Neither of those are negative toward pre-law activities. The first says don't join something simply because you think it will help you for law, and the fact that I took it seriously and competed for three years shows I just didn't join for the hell of it. The second seems to be in reference to those resume whores who will join any and every organization they possibly can to fill it up. I can understand how they see people who do these things as negative applicants, but it really has nothing to do with the curriculum, but rather they are padding their apps.