Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: where to start on my ps  (Read 1146 times)

ladyfred

• View Profile
where to start on my ps
« on: October 25, 2005, 03:04:13 PM »
I don't know where to start on my personal statement.  so much has shaped me:

military brat (moved 10 times, went to 9 different schools, have lived in 5 different states and 2 countries), female, Hispanic, and gay (parents still won't talk to me)

what to do??

ladyfred

• View Profile
Re: where to start on my ps
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 03:21:17 PM »
not to mention that i was premed and have wanted to be a doctor my whole life and turned a complete 180 towards the end of college.  my interest in law came with working for my company's in-house counsel. 

incognito

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 02:23:39 PM »
I don't know where to start on my personal statement.  so much has shaped me:

military brat (moved 10 times, went to 9 different schools, have lived in 5 different states and 2 countries), female, Hispanic, and gay (parents still won't talk to me)

what to do??

Don't try to do to much--fitting all of that into two pages would be unwise.  How non-trad are you?  I'm 29 with a graduate degree in science and in speaking with admissions people, they want to know why I am making the change.  Fit the other material in elsewhere (a diversity statement could cover your Hispanic gay militant-bratness).  Keep it positive though.

As a fellow homo, I salute you.  There are a heck of a lot of us on here, aren't there.
Duke 2009

kasper11

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 10:51:28 AM »
Pick one theme as your main topic, probably why you are going to law school. Whatever stems naturally from that theme (such as your current job) can be included, but cut out anything that doesn't seem to fit in. Things that you saw in different states/countries that inspired you could fit, but unless you are planning on focusing on discrimination as a lawyer, I wouldn't bother with female/hispanic/gay.
GPA: 2.15 (3.29 after 3 years off and transferring)
LSAT: 175

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 01:35:05 AM »
not to mention that i was premed and have wanted to be a doctor my whole life and turned a complete 180 towards the end of college. my interest in law came with working for my company's in-house counsel.

I wouldn't focus on the first part.  Changing majors in college is expected.  Why don't you try starting with your in-house experience?
Fed gov't atty

ladyfred

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 09:57:28 AM »
thanks for the help, everyone  :)

NH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 08:19:29 PM »
A book that I found very helpful when developing my PS is Essay That Will Get You Into Law School.  It is published by Barrons.  Good luck.