Law School Discussion

Question - need some help

Question - need some help
« on: October 24, 2005, 11:31:21 PM »
as a wierd asian mix i was planning (yes, i havnt done it yet but i WILL) on writing my ps about the difficulty of a second generation immigrant trying to fit in with both the american and asian cultures...then i was going to make it law related somehow. don't know how im exactly going to do this.

any advice on how i can spin this? i am having an awful time coming up with angles from which to write this...im pretty average, truth be known, and asians are not urm's so i figured this  would be a good way to incorporate my background into this.

i know its all really vague but your help, comments/suggestions, advice, etc would really be appreciated.

Re: Question - need some help
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 12:12:09 AM »
also - i know that this is typical but unless you all think its completely been done, i'm going to stick with this basic idea due to lack of any better ideas.  :)

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 12:32:12 PM »
24 views and no ideas? :(

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 01:38:03 PM »
Don't incorporate law into it.  Unless you have an extremely strong reason for wanting to study law and can be very specific about it, it just comes out sounding hokey, and is strongly advised against by many adcomms. 

Look, you're not writing your PS for Oprah or Dr. Phil.  You're writing it for a committee that wants to see what makes you different from the rest of the people in your class; what makes you a strong and unique person. 

Significance is not as important as people think it is.  Don't be a significance whore.  You don't have to have moved the earth to make a positive difference to a law school's atmosphere.  Remember that. 

So pick the things you like the most about yourself, that make you special, show your personal strengths, those sorts of things.  Then, once you have that narrowed down, find an angle of approach, an interesting lead-in that ties it all together.  Just don't write about law because you think it's going to impress an adcomm.  It will most certainly have the opposite effect.

Good luck!